Weeds

Me too Dawn. It looks like it's not fully up to speed, but I have high hopes.

Max is a gorgeous Blue Tang! It is nice having three tangs, plus the Foxface, which is closely related. They all swim around and eat different algae. The tank is changing! Here's some new pics featuring Waldo, the fox face:

Attachments

• photo411177.jpg
    photo411177.jpg
    793 KB · Views: 2
  • photo411180.jpg
    photo411180.jpg
    761.9 KB · Views: 3
  • photo411182.jpg
    photo411182.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo411184.jpg
    photo411184.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo411185.jpg
    photo411185.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 3
Thanks Dawn. Definitely busier fish-wise! It may be a little more open up front. I just gave the seagrass a haircut. I may do a little more. The fish enjoy being able to just fly over, without having to negotiate through the grass. Here's some more pics!

Attachments

• photo411191.jpg
    photo411191.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 3
  • photo411192.jpg
    photo411192.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo411193.jpg
    photo411193.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo411194.jpg
    photo411194.jpg
    728.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo411195.jpg
    photo411195.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 3
The grass cut looks nice too along with letting the fish cruise over top of it. It appears that there is still a lot of caulerpa on the left side wall and the back even though it is being grazed? That is nice to have a constant source of greens for the tangs and the foxface but also knowing that they will probably keep it in check from getting totally out of control.

Did they munch down the sargassum? I could not see it. How are the macros holding up?

Yes, the left side wall is deep with Caulerpa. I wanted to start with it in an overgrown state, so it would take them longer to wipe it all out. So I haven't pruned or removed any. Right now, the most heavily grazed area is on the sand bed, in the grasses, where the Caulerpa has formed a carpet.

The Sargassum is holding up fine. I don't think anyone eats it. Also the big Gracilaria seems to be staying in good shape, though they do pick at it. The Red Grapes and String of Pearls were the first to go, thank you Stanley. I fully expect most of the macros to be wiped out entirely, in around six months.

I've gotten a few aiptasia anemones lately. I added five Peppermint shrimps to the tank. I think two had babies coming. It would be so cool for them to survive and grow into a larger population. The Pods have. Tanks crawling with 'em.

I wanted to talk some more about adding different herbivorous fish to my heavily planted aquarium. Why am I adding fish that will eventually wipe out most, if not all of my macro algae? Basically, I wanted to use Nature to perform this task for me, so I don't have to. It became way too much work, trying to keep them under control. For the new fish, it's a salad bar. By the way, none of the new herbivores eats seagrass.

Scarlett, the Tommini Tang eats algae films and detritus, and as an added bonus, she is coprophagous. She eats other fish's poop! This results in less 'net' poop in the tank.

Stanley, the Sailfin Tang eats filamentous algae and macro algae. He'd already made a dent in the Caulerpa before I added the Fox Face, Waldo, who is my main Caulerpa guy.

Max, the Blue Tang is mostly a plankton picker, but he eats a little algae too. Honestly, I didn't get him for algae control as much as for personality and good looks. Such a cool fish!

So the new fish will alter the existing ecosystem. It will change from macro algae dominant to seagrass dominant. It's going to also open up a lot of real estate. Once they've cleared the back wall, I'm going to see if I can get some photosynthetic sponge growing on it. Lot's of other fun creatures to try too…

It sounds like the tank is moving more toward your original vision of a seagrass dominant tank. I do not blame you for wanting less work. I myself have also moved in that direction and have been willing to concede certain things to have a more maintenance friendly tank. And then there is the consolation that fish are fun! I sense that you are enjoying your new wards.

Good luck with the photosynthetic sponge. If you need more, just let me know. That is one coral that I have terrific success with.

The pain and hassle of working for hours in my tank isn't going to cut it. So I'm replacing myself with fish that will clean better than me. That's the idea at least.

So true, the fish are fun! This is the most I've had in quite awhile. It's a constant Nature show.

Thanks for the offer, Dawn. I'm hoping I still have some of that sponge you sent me before. As soon as the tangs clear off the sand bed, I'll be able to see if any still lives. I've got another one I bought a while back that looks to be surviving.

Michael,
Careful with sponge. I don't know what Dawn has but I had a Blue sponge that just took over everything. I wound up removing every rock for removal by forceps.
Only took me 6 days! It stuck like gorilla glue!

Thanks Vinny. I appreciate the warning.

That sponge must have really liked the conditions in your tank. But too much of a good thing isn't good, said the guy with Caulepra overrunning his tank. Will I ever learn? I think it would be great if my back wall was overrun by sponge, but I guess I wouldn't want it everywhere. I suppose if it got out of hand, I'd recruit another fish to eat it, like some kind of Angelfish.

I have a fairly good variety of sponges growing on my live rock, but none of it looks to be going nuts. I think it's the photosynthetic sponges that are the biggest threat. Since I'm not trying to keep corals alive, it's a bit less of a concern.

If that sponge pops up again, I'd be very interested in acquiring some from you.

What Vinny says is true. I saw the purple photosynthetic sponge that I have in a tank at a saltwater fish/ reef store. It was gorgeous and I bought some. The next time I went to that store (which is not often) the purple sponge had taken over the tank I saw it in. For whatever reason that has not happened in my tank, even though that sponge grows well. I do occasionally need to pull it off some places and it always grows back but not to the exclusion of everything else.

I'd really love to get some, Vinny. I'm not ready yet, so no rush and name your price. Maybe this Spring when it warms up. This reminds me of the old saying, one man's trash is another mans treasure…

Thanks Dawn for chiming in. Ideally, I'd like to get a variety of photosynthetic sponges, so it's not just one taking over. I really would love to add a sponge-eating dwarf angelfish, to keep it in check.

I'd really love to get some, Vinny. I'm not ready yet, so no rush and name your price. Maybe this Spring when it warms up. This reminds me of the old saying, one man's trash is another mans treasure…

Thanks Dawn for chiming in. Ideally, I'd like to get a variety of photosynthetic sponges, so it's not just one taking over. I really would love to add a sponge-eating dwarf angelfish, to keep it in check.

I am thinking the same thing about a dwarf angelfish! There are so many beautiful varieties and I have had very good luck with the ones I have had in the past. Are you leaning toward any certain one or do you need to do research first?

Wow, a lot has happened! I love the pics since my last visit. I don't like how they display in the new forum software, but, we'll have to live with it, I guess. I was thinking that if the macros, specifically Caulerpa, are a good and nutritious food for your tangs, and if they eventually wipe it out, then maybe you could grow some in a bucket with an airstone, and a grow light, then add to the tank when you feed your fish.

Also, you need a blenny of some sort, one tough enough to hold up against the damsels, but one that won't bother anyone else. You have plenty of herbivores, so I'm thinking about one that is an omnivore or carnivore. I think that a molly miller would be a nice addition. But, I'm extremely biased toward blennies, LOL, as you know. There are some less aggressive than the molly miller, but may not last with those damsels. However, you are the one that will be watching, observing, learning, and loving your tank, and are at the helm of it's future. And, of course, we are along for the ride enjoying it all, regardless of the decisions or preferences that you have.

I thought that I'd end with how fantastic the tank looks, and the fish bring a menagerie of color to the tank. I imagine watching them in action and can see hours of entertainment. And, talk of adding sponge and an angel is quite exciting. Other than blennies, of the SW fish, I'd say that angels are my next favorites. They have so much personality and most species are stunningly beautiful. BTW, there are some nice medium sized angels that would do well in your tank, but, they're quite pricey compared to the dwarf angels. I'm so glad that I'm finally able to log in to this site again. I felt lost when I tried to come back a few weeks ago.

Wow, a lot has happened! I love the pics since my last visit. I don't like how they display in the new forum software, but, we'll have to live with it, I guess. I was thinking that if the macros, specifically Caulerpa, are a good and nutritious food for your tangs, and if they eventually wipe it out, then maybe you could grow some in a bucket with an airstone, and a grow light, then add to the tank when you feed your fish.

Also, you need a blenny of some sort, one tough enough to hold up against the damsels, but one that won't bother anyone else. You have plenty of herbivores, so I'm thinking about one that is an omnivore or carnivore. I think that a molly miller would be a nice addition. But, I'm extremely biased toward blennies, LOL, as you know. There are some less aggressive than the molly miller, but may not last with those damsels. However, you are the one that will be watching, observing, learning, and loving your tank, and are at the helm of it's future. And, of course, we are along for the ride enjoying it all, regardless of the decisions or preferences that you have.

I thought that I'd end with how fantastic the tank looks, and the fish bring a menagerie of color to the tank. I imagine watching them in action and can see hours of entertainment. And, talk of adding sponge and an angel is quite exciting. Other than blennies, of the SW fish, I'd say that angels are my next favorites. They have so much personality and most species are stunningly beautiful. BTW, there are some nice medium sized angels that would do well in your tank, but, they're quite pricey compared to the dwarf angels. I'm so glad that I'm finally able to log in to this site again. I felt lost when I tried to come back a few weeks ago.

Hi Kevin, its nice to hear from you again. Yes, while the site was being updated I missed it too.

I know and agree whole heartily how beautifully Michael's tank has developed! I would enjoy seeing both dwarf angels or blennies in it but also want Michael to know that I love it as is and probably will love whatever he adds.

Michael, after catching up on Dawn's thread, I didn't realize that you both still have a barnacle blenny living in your tank. I think that, if you chose to go with a blenny that isn't a plant eater, I'd wait for the barnacle blenny to live out his life. I'm not sure that they'd get along. More barnacle blennies would be cool too though! (but, again, I'm biased).

Back