Weeds

Ha Ha! Rhett! That made me laugh. I'm still not sure I'll get a Blue Tang, but I want one. I'll be keeping an eye on ThePurple12's tang for sure. If I take a step back, it really doesn't make sense for me to get another herbivore. That blue tangs are more planktivore makes me think I could get away with one, but if he decided to go after any of my prized macros I'd be very bummed. So it's a risk, and the older I get, the less risk I take.

I had a bit of a panic here on RC. I just updated my operating system on my iMac, and when I got on RC, all of my pics were gone! It turns out I just needed to log in again. Whew!

What a scare!

Still no problems with my hippo, but every fish is different and you never know.
For ammonia control in the quarantine tank, why not pick up a bottle of Seachem Prime? I’ve heard aquariums use it to start up tanks when they haven’t finished cycling.

That blue tangs are more planktivore makes me think I could get away with one, but if he decided to go after any of my prized macros I'd be very bummed. So it's a risk, and the older I get, the less risk I take.

I hear ya regarding risks, I too am more cautious in my old age.

I've been reading more on the Blue Tang's diet. It's quite the mixed bag, actually. The consensus is that they are plankatores that also eat some algae. I watched a video where a blue and a yellow tang were eating Botriocladia (red grapes) in a clip with gusto. Bottom line, if I don't want to risk my macros, I shouldn't get one. It's possible it wouldn't eat them, but it's possible it would. I really want one, but I better not.

I emailed KP Aquatics about a gramma harem and they said they would have them on Monday, so I should order them then. So I'll likely do that.

On the plant front, the Ulva Intestinalis is still losing ground unfortunately. I found a few more snails on them yesterday. I have no idea how they got there. I'm starting to realize I just can't keep this plant in my tank. I'll keep trying to keep these going, but it's not looking good. It's weird because I kept 'regular ulva' in the early stages of this tank just fine. The difference may be the snails' population, which was no doubt smaller then. With enough plants and plant biomass, I'm sure I could sustain them, but I doubt I can get there. I may be able to blame the Caulerpa, which has a huge biomass, and it slurps up nutrients like a dry sponge. So the Ulva doesn't grow fast enough to outpace predation.

I've been watching the Galaxaura's progress with interest. With all of them in brighter light, their color was lightening. This made me wonder if the info I got was wrong, and they prefer LESS light. On closer inspection with a magnifying glass, I found that the lightened tips were actually new growth. So their coloring may be shifting from a wine color more towards pink. That's fine with me, if they're growing. The last time I kept this plant, I planted it in dimmer lighting and it faded away. So it's nice to see an indication of growth, this time around.

QT6

It sounds like given the info you are getting on Hippo tang that you are wise not to risk one.

I am really excited about the gramma harem! I liked how in v1 that they hung out in the holes you designed in your fake wall. I am hoping that this group does the same thing.

Sorry about the ulva. Snails! Can't live with them and can't live without them!

That is cool that the galaxaura's has new growth. That is always an exciting find!

Too risky, me thinks! Ten-years-ago-me would've gotten one. Not this old guy!

I'm super excited about getting a Gramma Harem again too! I did find a good deal on captive raised Fridmani Basslets, but I think they'd be a risk of being too mean. Plus I wouldn't be able to get as many, and would still cost more than the grammas. The fake wall was designed just for the grammas! They prefer vertical surfaces to orient to. The ones in v1 took to it from day one. I'll just need to clear a lot of the Caulerpa off, so they can find all the holes. Then it'll grow back and they'll incorporate it into their nests.

The Dove Snails are just one symptom of the limitations I put one this tank, in order to prioritize the overall ecosystem. I'm definitely sacrificing which fish I can keep, and also which plants. It's worth it to me, but I imagine I'm in the minority.

I'm definitely stoked on the Galaxaura!

I'm thinking six. With four large, established Allen's Damsels, and what I'm guessing will be small grammas, I don't want to get too greedy and end up with a turf war. When I had seven in v1, I always thought I could get away with another one or two, but they were only sharing the tank with the Atlantic Blue Tang and the all-but-invisible Barnacle Blennies.

Do the damsels have specific territories or do they just peruse the whole tank. If they hang more around the patch reef rocks then maybe the grammar can have the fake wall and everyone will be happy! That is in a perfect world, of course. Hopefully the tomini will help diffuse aggression between the damsels and grammas too.

Six seems like enough to make an impact. That should be very cool and add both activity and color.

A couple of the damsels have taken up in back wall holes, but there's plenty to go around. I wouldn't be surprised if Scarlett stepped in to play referee. Mr Zippy did that with the grammas before. But you do bring up a very good point about getting the grammas in with the damsels. I may need to strategize…

If you could catch at least some of the damsels and QT them at the same time the grammas are going through QT, then you could introduce the grammas to the tank a half a week or so before re-introducing the damsels. That, along with the fact that you are getting 6 grammas should give the new ones the edge they need to settle in and not get overly bullied. Anyway it's a thought.

Not a bad idea! IF I can catch the damsels, that would probably work well. I may have to break out the old 2 liter soda bottle trap! Another possibility would be to float the new grammas in acclimation boxes. I like your idea better. Maybe those are plan A & B. I'm sure there are other possibilities too. I've got time to think it over. Thanks Dawn!

Seems like grammas, newly introduced or not, would be able to hold their own against anything! I don't have experience with them though.

Generally, that's true! But in this situation, my new grammas will likely be very small at introduction. Probably in the inch and a half range. My Damsels, which have had the run of the tank for over a year, are now three inches plus. And they're not near as sweet and cuddly as they were as juveniles. So the dynamic could very well be challenging.

I could ask for larger grammas, but then you run the risk of not starting with all females, which is what you want for starting a harem. Grammas, and a lot of other fish, start life as females. So getting all small ones pretty much guarantees all females. It's not likely I'll get six grammas of identical size, but I'll ask for them to be as close in size as possible, which is fine, as long as they're all small, and thus female. If one is larger and turns male first, that's okay too.

So that really points to Dawn's idea of getting the damsels out of the tank for awhile, so the grammas can get established unharassed. Thinking more about the execution of Plan A, I could give myself a week or so to catch them all and get them into my unoccupied 26 gallon QT. Once I get the grammas and tang in the display, I'll have room to spread the damsels out into other QTs, if needed.

That was probably a more wordy response than you wanted, but it was helpful to me to talk it out. So thanks, ThePurple12! Discussion leads to breakthroughs!

Yes, I contacted them and they said they would get a bunch in on Monday, so I plan to order then.

QT7

Last edited:
I have used the pop bottle trap a number of times with pretty good success. I actually use a small 20 oz bottle but I have had smaller fish.
Your tank is too big to use my other method. I fill brute cans with the water in my display lowering the water level to about 2 or 3". It limits the targeted fish's ability to hide making them much easier to catch without tearing the rockwork apart. Unfortunately this method is much easier to do with a 56 gallon than a 180 gallon. You would need 6 brute cans( at least) lined up, LOL.
I will keep my fingers crossed for you with catching the damsels!

Good luck tomorrow with the order to KPAquatics for the grammas. Maybe they will send you 7? I found them to be generous and an extra might be nice. I like getting fish in odd numbers.

Back