Weeds

Yeah, I've had good luck with my trap as well, so I keep it around. I actually have pretty high hopes with these damsels. They're very aggressive eaters and their shape is conducive to going into the trap, and hopefully they're not smart enough to get out - quickly at least. Lowering the water level is a good method as well, if practical. As you said, the size of my tank makes it less so, and an extra complication is the hidey-holes in the back wall.

I have emailed KP's with my concerns on the weather. Hopefully they'll have a solution that'll work. My weather looks better for a Thursday overnight ship than a Monday or Tuesday ship, which is their normal schedule.

On my original harem in v1, I ordered six, and they sent seven. So I wouldn't be surprised if they did that again. But I'll be quite happy with six, with the four Damsels. We'll see. I may add another thing or two to my order, like maybe a Flower anemone, or a sponge. I'll see what's available when I order.

QT8

Last edited:
I didn't order grammas today. KP's didn't appear to get them in, and they posted a message banner on their site saying that shipping looks iffy this week, so I'll check back later.

Scarlett really colored up today. She's a looker! Still pretty timid, but she's gradually coming around. I did another water change for her yesterday. She looks to be handling my putzing around in her tank without too much stress. I still haven't made it to town to get ammonia neutralizer. Maybe tomorrow. Quarantine seems to be flying by quickly. Yay!

It's hard to say for sure, but since getting CO2 going again, the plants seem to be growing faster. The macros on the patch reef look fuller, more robust, and the grasses are showing signs of bouncing back from the flat-top hair cut I gave them.

QT9

I'll introduce Scarlett at about week 3. I need to get her fattened up and accustomed to the different foods I offer her. Also I'll need to coordinate her intro with the grammas, so it's not a specific day, at this point.

Hi Michael. I'm still on page 58, a lot of catching up to do. Sorry about not being around. Work and fishing has been dominating my free time (yes, I'm obsessed, and it's icefishing season now, LOL). I need to catch up before I can comment on your tank. I'm sure it will be a good read!

Hey Kevin! No need to be sorry. It sounds like you're having fun. We all take breaks from forums. Good to hear from you!

I'll introduce Scarlett at about week 3. I need to get her fattened up and accustomed to the different foods I offer her. Also I'll need to coordinate her intro with the grammas, so it's not a specific day, at this point.

Michael, I love the patient methodical way you do everything with your tank. Most of us could certainly learn from you!

What all do you feed Scarlett? Tommy eats a vegetable based flake every day. I also feed some sort of frozen cube everyday, be it emerald entree, spiralina brine shrimp, and formula 2. I do mix the green frozen food up with some frozen mysis, brine shrimp, prime reef and formula 1 too. The one food Tommy does not show much interest in is Spectrum pellets or the green pellet food I bought for my blennies. He much prefers flake food to pellet.

Hi Michael. I'm still on page 58, a lot of catching up to do. Sorry about not being around. Work and fishing has been dominating my free time (yes, I'm obsessed, and it's icefishing season now, LOL). I need to catch up before I can comment on your tank. I'm sure it will be a good read!

Hi Kevin, it is nice to see you! I am glad that you are enjoying fishing. I am sure that I would enjoy regular fishing but I am going to leave the ice fishing to you.

Thank you Dawn. I've learned the hard way. I killed so many fish in 2019, I almost left the hobby. I lost more fish than I let on. The heartbreak and shame of killing creatures I care deeply for was almost unbearable. I get choked up just thinking about it. I had to change my ways or quit. Not all were my fault, but most of them were.

For Scarlett, I bought two different algae-based flakes, and I had some algae pellet food on hand. I'm not absolutely certain she eats the flakes. I add flakes to the tank, and by the time she comes out of hiding, the flakes have mostly disappeared. Judging by how many pellets I found when changing tank water, I don't think she is eating them. She does eat frozen mysis and cyclops. I suspect that's all they fed her at the LFS. Today I tried one of those sinking veggie discs. I had originally bought them for Farlowella catfish in my freshwater setup years ago. Since they lay flat on the bottom, I thought it would work well with her kissing feeding action. It did! So now I have at least one veggie food that I know she is eating. With the light having been on for a week or so, I'm hoping she's getting some film algae with her kissing feeding. Maybe I'll try one of those frozen veggie foods you mentioned. Thanks for telling me what you're feeding. I really want to find a food that I see her gorging on, so I can fatten her up!

A quick post, if that's possible for me.

So, I can confirm that Scarlett, the Tomini Tang ate spirolina flakes this evening. And she's still working on the algae disc. Tonight I made a town run and got ammonia neutralizer and I got some Emerald Entre, thanks Dawn. With the combination of mysis and veggies, I bet she'll take right to it.

QT10

Michael, I was really surprised and saddened when I heard your fish population crashed. The tank was doing so well. Kudos on doing your best to save them.

Nice progress on the tomini!

Thanks ThePurple12. I had a run of bad luck and bad decisions. I've tried to learn from them. The Look Downs brought ICK into my display, and I had a brutal run of sick fish bought online. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. So now I aspire to be excellent at quarantine, after years of slackness.

Scarlett's doing nicely. She seems free of illness, so now I focus the fattening.

I also know the pain and shame of losing fish. It is one of the worst feelings associated with this hobby. I am really happy that you have not left the hobby and that you are sharing with us the things you have learned.

Hopefully Scarlett takes to emerald entree as much as Tommy. He loves any type of frozen green food. Your damsels and the gramma harem should all enjoy it as well once they get in the display. Just like us I think most fish can benefit from eating their vegetables!

Yep, it's bad. After some success, I'm feeling much better!

Scarlett likes Emerald Entree! Now I'm feeling like I have a good, healthy selection of herbivore foods for her that she likes. The next challenge is getting her over her shyness, when I'm in view. At some point she's going to realize that I'm the 'food giver'. Just a matter of time…

QT11

Scarlett, the Tomini Tang is still ridiculously timid. It takes the patience of a monk to wait for her to come out. I have found that she likes both kinds of veggie flake foods I got for her. One is a Spirulina based flake, the other is Chlorella based. Those combined with the sinking algae disc and Emerald Entree, should give a good, varied diet. She's eating well, so hopefully she'll be fat by the time she goes into the display.

I heard back from KP Aquatics, and they're waiting until next week to get Royal Grammas in. I'm hoping the shipping delays that are happening throughout the country will be over by then. It's kind of a bummer because I'd prefer to get them into the display BEFORE I add Scarlett. With the delay, it's more likely they'll all be introduced on the same day, or maybe a day or two apart. It will depend on my patience level.

QT12

With Scarlett's tendency to be overly shy, maybe it's not a bad thing for her to get into the display a wee bit ahead of everyone else??? Tommy was assertive right from day 1, which seems more tang-like so he worries me with new fish. Scarlett seems to have a much more timid personality, so I would not expect her to show aggression. Of course it's the quiet shy ones that can surprise you sometimes, ha ha!

That's not a bad point. I'll keep it in mind. I'm less concerned with her being timid. I know it will pass. I'm more concerned with the tiny, new grammas. I want to give them total focus on introduction, and allow them a peaceful, stress free environment to settle into. I think if I can hold out on adding her for at least a day or two, it will help. I think the small grammas will stress Scarlett less than she will stress them.

A lot will depend on the grammas' size and disposition. I'll see what I get and then make the call.

That's not a bad point. I'll keep it in mind. I'm less concerned with her being timid. I know it will pass. I'm more concerned with the tiny, new grammas. I want to give them total focus on introduction, and allow them a peaceful, stress free environment to settle into. I think if I can hold out on adding her for at least a day or two, it will help. I think the small grammas will stress Scarlett less than she will stress them.

A lot will depend on the grammas' size and disposition. I'll see what I get and then make the call.

That is a good idea waiting until you get the grammas. You will have probably an inkling about what is best then.

Thanks Dawn. I'll know more when I have them. I do appreciate the idea. Remember, you were the one that thought of catching the damsels, which is brilliant!

Thanks Dawn. I'll know more when I have them. I do appreciate the idea. Remember, you were the one that thought of catching the damsels, which is brilliant!

When it comes to introducing fish to an established tank with fish already, it's always a bit nerve wracking. I am never totally confident. Lately I have had more success than in the past but not perfectly, as in the Marmalade incident. I still feel bad about that.

It seems like you have a good plan. I am rooting for 100% success.

Back