Weeds

If I got a rabbit fish, I'd probably have to remove Waldo, the Foxface, since they likely wouldn't get along. I'm not sure though.

Hey Kevin! Same here. I read that both fox faces and sail fins would eat caulerpa, and they do, but not fast enough!

I thought it would be interesting to show seagrass growth, after I pruned it down so much.

IMG_9535.jpg

April 25, 2022. Super shaggy with lots of it tangled at the surface.

IMG_9560.jpg

May 2. Simulated hungry manatee feeding event.

IMG_9607.jpg

May 27. Many plants right back, reaching to the surface again. Sorry for the glare.

I was surprised myself. Until now, I never thought it grew that fast. At this rate, I should prune it down every two weeks, if I want the fish to be able to swim above it.

I like both looks, pruned and wild... Wild looks like late summer season, pruned looks like your manatee feeding event or early season when weeds emerge. I don't know about how manatee grass grows in Florida, but most of the SAV in more temperate zones like Maryland die back during colder weather and rebound like crazy later on. For you, it's not about the biotope, its about your entertainment value. I think that's where I am with my river tank, time to trim the jungle so I can see where my fish are when they hide in there.

You like both looks? Interesting! I was a little freaked when I first did it. I worried they wouldn't grow back! You're right it's mostly for the fish (and me), but it's also a very effective export method, which does help the ecosystem. Now that I know how fast they grow back, I can export more going forward. I've come to believe exporting plant material is more effective than water changes. I haven't done one in at least year.

That's pretty amazing Michael. You're system is very low maintenance, quite an accomplishment.

Yeah, I like both looks. You see that in nature, so why not your tank, although they're seasonal type changes. And, if they grow back that fast, it seems like the manatee grass likes it too! I'm not sure adding a dwarf angel would make much of a difference on the caulerpa, although they will graze on algae some. They certainly will add colorful and a fun personality to the tank though, and for that, it's worth it IMHO. Either way, your tank has always been one of my favorites. It's so unique and beautiful. It must be really fun to sit back and take it all in. Have you witnessed any fish spawning activity in there (thinking about grammas, or damsels)?

Thanks Dawn. I would not suggest everyone go without water changes, but I believe my tank is kinda unique. How so? Plant biomass. I've got a lot. You could call my tank a display filter! When I export plant material, it's a bunch, like pounds. Compare that to a 20 gallon water change. Which do you think exports more nutrients?

I don't plan to never do another water change. I've just been 'researching' the effects of laziness for the last year or so. It's important work! ha ha!

Thanks Kevin. So true, it happens in Nature. I guess it makes sense that it likes being pruned down too. The epiphytic growth gets removed in the process and that gives the blade a clean slate, so to speak.

Agreed on the dwarf angels. I just want one. But the needs come first, so the Blue Spotted Rabbitfish looks like the next contestant. Not as big as other rabbitfishes, but a little bigger than the fox face.

Yes, the grammas and damsels have been fraternizing. :) If I watch for too long, it feels like a soap opera. Dick and Jane pop in the barnacle shells, when Jane is good and darn ready. Big Daddy only has two ladies, Phyllis and Fifi, to attend to, in his harem of grammas, so it all looks pretty casual, compared to v1 where I had 7 grammas. Allen and Allen often quarrel, and also flirt with Ellen. So there's some good fish dramaā€¦

Last edited:
Thanks Dawn. I would not suggest everyone go without water changes, but I believe my tank is kinda unique. How so? Plant biomass. I've got a lot. You could call my tank a display filter! When I export plant material, it's a bunch, like pounds. Compare that to a 20 gallon water change. Which do you think exports more nutrients?

I don't plan to never do another water change. I've just been 'researching' the effects of laziness for the last year or so. It's important work! ha ha!
I really like the idea of plant biomass removal as a nutrient export. Your tank is such a great example of that in action.

On a smaller scale you have inspired me to move toward the implementation of that in my tank but my coral necessitate the replenishing of some things like calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and trace elements. I doctor up my water change water and that's how I accomplish that and since my water change system is pretty easy these days, I have come to a balance that works for me. Still, I am in awe of what you have done in your tank to remove a lot of the drudgery and it is valuable 'research' and important work! Ha ha!

You guys sound just like the keepers of the penguins @ the local aquarium.
All named after Seinfeld characters.
Vinny, what 'local' aquarium is that? I do not know if most public aquariums have a penguin exhibit but ours here in Pittsburgh does. It's connected to our zoo. Anyway, I wondered if you are/or nearby Pittsburgh?

Thanks Dawn. I have enjoyed my important laziness research. I will say that your easy water change setup is likely easier than all the pruning I end up doing. I'm just maybe able to do it less often. šŸ§

I disappear for long periods of time from forums like this too. It's not that I don't want to post, or check in, or read. It's just that I'm either busy with work or having fun outside, or just too tired to get on the PC on my free time after working all day long.

Back