Well pump and R/O system

coreydes

My well pump boosts to about 75 psi. I have a whole home reverse osmosis system. When the tanks need filling and the well pump are boosted to around 75 psi, the system will run. Lately, as soon as the tanks are filling the pressure from the well pump drops to 25 psi within minutes. The RO system them pressure faults and turns off. I don’t think it’s a water table issue meaning the well is dry. Is it a membrane problem? Well pump problem? Any ideas are welcomed.

Are you running anything else when running the RO? That may be dropping the pressure. Or you may need a booster pump.

@griss knows a lot about RO stuff so he should chime in soon

Thanks. No, there aren’t any other draws. What would make me need a booster pump all of a sudden after all these years?
When was the well drilled and first started to be used? The well may not be dry but may be low and need to be drilled deeper. I’m just spitballing though based on some basic well research I’ve done for my own possible home build.

Sorry, I’ve been on vacation at the lake with no WiFi and very limited cell service.

I’ve never dealt with a well before so, I really can’t chime in on that.

My question would be, when was the last time the membrane or filters were changed?

Sorry, I’ve been on vacation at the lake with no WiFi and very limited cell service.

I’ve never dealt with a well before so, I really can’t chime in on that.

My question would be, when was the last time the membrane or filters were changed?
Membranes changed about 6 years ago. I didn’t know if there were other signs like bad water taste before membrane issue.

When was the well drilled and first started to be used? The well may not be dry but may be low and need to be drilled deeper. I’m just spitballing though based on some basic well research I’ve done for my own possible home build.
Drilled probably about at least 15 years ago

The membrane and filters likely need to changed out. Do you have a TDS meter to see what your output is?

It could be your well pump failing, does the low pressure happen any time else (saying running a shower or dishes or anything)? For this it may be best to have a well professional come out and inspect your well and accessories

The membrane and filters likely need to changed out. Do you have a TDS meter to see what your output is?

It could be your well pump failing, does the low pressure happen any time else (saying running a shower or dishes or anything)? For this it may be best to have a well professional come out and inspect your well and accessories
Good thoughts, thanks. My TDS reading is about 120 which is normal for post treated water. Prior to treatment we’re at 800.

The well only draws water for the whole home RO system. Nothing else is hooked up to the well pump so not sure how it’d act otherwise. I did turn off my RO system fora party bc too much water is consumed for the RO to keep up. So this means I’m pulling water straight from the well with no treatment. For that day we had great pressure, no problems.

Back