Welso Brain tissue loss: how to revive?

aleonn

I've had my Welso Brain (Trachyphyllia radiata) for about 11 months without problems until recently. About 8 weeks ago it stopped displaying its feeding tentacles, even at night and during feeding times. However, it still went through its normal expansion and contraction cycles, and there was no other obvious symptoms.

Four weeks ago my 3.5" false percula clownfish started hosting the Welso, but things still seemed fine with exception of the non-displaying feeding tentacles. So I went on a trip for a week and came back recently to find my yellow tang nipping at the Welso. There was about 15% tissue loss, and the underlying bone was visible.

Water parameters for the display tank are: ammonia/nitrates zero, Sg: 1.025, pH 8.00, temp: 77-79, alk 8.3. Placement was on the substrate, about 24" below my 8x80W Tek Lights.

Yesterday, I moved the Welso to the QT. I used the powerhead to blow off loose pieces of tissue, further exposing the underlying bone (there's about 25% tissue loss at this point).

After searching on RC regarding retracted Welso flesh, there were some ideas as to reviving it. Some suggested using a bone cutter to break off the exposed bony plate in order to facilitate healing. Another post suggested making a clean cut (effectively fragging) the healthy portion of the brain coral (however, I don't have the tools for this). A different post suggested super gluing the loose flesh onto the underlying bone.

Does anyone have experience for this situation? I'm still not sure what my plan of action is at this point, besides trying to elicit a feeding response, but I hope to salvage the brain coral before the tissue loss becomes even worse!

Photos from my phone from this morning:
IMAG0391.jpg

IMAG0389.jpg

I would not recommend fragging it and inducing even more stress at this point.

Mag and calc levels in the main tank? Ensure that QT remains stable as that may introduce even more stress than being in the main tank. Anything nipping at it?

Hi Eric, thanks for your input. Today there's about 40% tissue loss and the flesh was flapping in the current. Nitrates were at 20, Sg 1.025, Alk 8. Haven't checked mag and calcium yet, but I did a partial water change for the QT. The fish in QT and CUC haven't touched the brain coral.

Things have been getting worse so I superglued the flapping flesh to the underlying bone this morning. Hopefully that stabilizes the tissue recession.

I may have to consider fragging the brain as a last ditch option tomorrow if things get worse... :(

Update: This morning, things seem to be stabilizing at 40-45% tissue loss. Tried to feed it before lights turned on, but there was no feeding response. Mag is 1200 and calcium 410. Will do another partial water change tonight.

Any suggestions on equipment to buy to make one clean cut on the brain? In case things take a sudden turn for the worse...

Fragging a coral of this type induces an extreme amount of stress. Honestly, I wouldn't even do so in a last ditch effort. Mag is low IMO (I would bump to 1350-1400).

I did a few water changes, dipped with Coral Rx, and upped the magnesium, but the tissue recession got worse. Last week the brain coral died :(.

Sucks man!!! I know my brain coral has been attacked by a Lobo that was too close good thing I was watching at night and caught it before it was too late.

Back