Western_reefers 28 gallon Nano-Cube HQI diary.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13861733#post13861733 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spook8282
Western_reefer,
How high up does that put your hood, and what are the benefits? I thought about getting those just for more air circulation, as well as not having to cut into my hood in order to put an additional power head in. Do you just lift it straight off for your water changes?
The hood is 3.5 inches away from the water surface. The benefits are: there is more air circulation, the tank doesn't heat up that much, you don't have to cut your hood to place another powerhead, you don't have to lift the hood when you do a water change, you don't have to lift the hood when you want to blow a few things around in the tank with a turkey baster, and you don't have to lift the hood when you have corals floating around in the tank acclimating. The only down side about a raised hood is that fish can jump out, but you can quickly solve this problem by making a mesh top. Nope, I don't lift it straight off for my water changes.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13861766#post13861766 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spook8282
Just a quick question for everyone. Ive had my tank up and running for about 4 weeks now. Added my clean up crew about a week ago. The problem im having is with what looks like substrate constantly floating in the water. someone told me to up my wave maker from 60 second intervals to 90 second and that didnt seem to clear it up at all. Anyone else have this problem?

How high is your water lvl in the back? Here is a drawing of how the back of my tank looks like. The green is chaeto and the brown is live rock rubble.
thebackofthe28gall-1.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13861907#post13861907 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefnAv
Looking good Moses!

One thing about the net lid that you might consider. with the really small fish typically in a nano, they can and will find there way through the holes. Many people use two layers in off setting patters so that it makes the holes smaller. HTH

Thanks! :D

Yeah, I know. I got some more mesh, so I'll use one more layer to off set the patters so that it makes the holes smaller.

I think my water level is way to low in the back. Thanks! How are you keeping the chaeto growing back there? You have pretty much the exact set up I was looking for as far as the overflow goes. I f I put live rock in the back should I buy already cured rock? The media basket doesnt really seem like it does to much.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13862720#post13862720 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spook8282
I think my water level is way to low in the back. Thanks! How are you keeping the chaeto growing back there? You have pretty much the exact set up I was looking for as far as the overflow goes. I f I put live rock in the back should I buy already cured rock? The media basket doesnt really seem like it does to much.
Then make the water lvl higher! lol Np. I have a light on the back. Yeah, its only gana cost you like $3-$5 max for the cured LR rubble. Take the media basket out, you really don't need it. Here is a picture of the light I have in the back for the chaeto.
Picture1070.jpg

Well, I forgot to add a few things and I found out that Chalice are LPS not SPS. So, here is an update on the stock list.
Here is my stock list:
Fish:
Large Female Maroon Clownfish
Royal Gramma
Yellow Coris Wrasse

Inverts:
1 Tear Drop Maxima clam
1 Crocea clam
1 Bumble Bee snail
2 Nass. snails
around 30+ lb of LR
around 2 lb of LR rubble in the fuge
30 lb of sand
Large Feather Duster
Purple Brush Gorgonian
Mini Brittle stars
Hermit Crab

Corals:

Softies:
Hair Mushrooms
Red/Teal Mushrooms
Xenia
1 Green and 1 Pink Florida rics
Eagle Eye Zoas
True Tubbs Blue Zoas
Pink with green skirt zoas

Leathers:
Toad stool
Large Cabbage coral
Kenya Tree
Colt Coral

LPS:
SUPER PINK Chalice
Tyree Blue Chalice
Pink and Green Chalice
Blue with green eyes Chalice
Lava Flow Chalice
Metallic Green Torch Coral
Green Candy canes
Galaxy Coral
Purple Acans
Sweet Tooth Micro Acan
Blasto

SPS:
Hot Pink Birdsnest
Tubs Blue Polyp Birdsnest
ORA Green Birdsnest
Ponape Birdsnest
"TEC" Forest Fire Digi
Red Digi
German Blue Polyp Digi
Miami Orchid
Purple tip Acro
"TEC" Pumpkin Patch Mili
True Leng Sye Montipora Cap
Idaho Grape Montipora Cap
Orange Encrusting Montipora
Red with Glowing Orange polyps Encrusting Montipora
BLOOD RED Encrusting Montipora

Plants/Micro:
Chaeto
Halimeda scabra (Money Plant)

Wish list on Equipment:
Vortech MP20
Refractometer
ESV B-Ionic Doser
IceCap 18 inch VHO Retrofit Kit - 2 Lamps
B-Ionic 2-Part Calcium Buffer 2 gal Concentrate (1gal each bottle)

Wish list on Fish:
A pair of Clown Gobys
A pair of Jawfish or a pair of Yashia White Ray Shrimp Goby
I know it sounds like alot, but the fish I listed above don't get very big (they also have a small bioload)and they are normally in/on the sand or rocks.

Wish list for Inverts:
One Cleaner Shrimp

Wish list for Corals:
Get rid of a few Softies/Leathers/LPS and add ORA Marshall Island Blue Bottlebrush
ORA Red Planet

Tell me what you think!! :D

Well, its been a while since I posted a FTS. So, here is a FTS that I just took 5 minutes ago. Tell me what you think! :D I'll post more pictures later today.
Picture1760-1.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13944385#post13944385 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by m.hudzinski
I may have just missed it while reading the thread, but what are you using for Ca/Alk supplementation?
I add Kent Turbo Cal. I'm going to get the 2 part B-Ionic this month. Can't wait! lol

Here are a few pictures of the Yellow Deep Sea Gorgonian I got from a local reefer. :D Its not the best pictures, but you get the idea. I'll take a few more pictures later today. The gorgonian is pretty much open 24/7.
Picture2126.jpg

Picture2155.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13999297#post13999297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by goldenmacman
looks good kid! how many watts is taht light? i know you said it but it too lazy to find it again
Thanks!! :D lol Its a 150 watt DE MH.

Back