Western_reefers 28 gallon Nano-Cube HQI diary.

Sorry to bother you, just a quick question. I was thinking about getting the JBJ 28g HQI as well.
-Do you reccomend it, or should I look for some other nano?
-Does it seem well built and at the right price?
-Is it easy to maintain?
-Does it seem like it could maintain SPS in the long run?

Thank you, and your tanks looking pretty sweet.

Also, would you happen to know the brand name for the legs you got to suspend your light canopy?

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14038632#post14038632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by m.hudzinski
I like your coral choices, but the frags on the frag-pucks look out of place.
Thanks! Yeah, I need to get rid of the frag pucks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14044492#post14044492 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyclam
Sorry to bother you, just a quick question. I was thinking about getting the JBJ 28g HQI as well.
-Do you reccomend it, or should I look for some other nano?
-Does it seem well built and at the right price?
-Is it easy to maintain?
-Does it seem like it could maintain SPS in the long run?

Thank you, and your tanks looking pretty sweet.

Also, would you happen to know the brand name for the legs you got to suspend your light canopy?
Yeah, I recommend it. Its a very good Nano!
Yeah, Its well built and is at a good price.
Yup.
Yeah, you can defiantly keep SPS in the long run. You'll just have to frag the corals when they get too big.

Np, Thanks!!

The brand name is CoraLife.

If you have anymore questions, don't be afraid to ask!

Here are a few pictures of the pack.
Picture867.jpg

Picture860.jpg

Wow, great looking tank!

Regarding the 150 watt 14000°K HQI metal halide lighting. Did you get the 14K phoenix or the 14K DE? I see the phoenix is a $30 up-grade.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14051069#post14051069 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefTrek
Wow, great looking tank!

Regarding the 150 watt 14000°K HQI metal halide lighting. Did you get the 14K phoenix or the 14K DE? I see the phoenix is a $30 up-grade.
Thanks!!

The stock bulb will work fine for corals. Its just, it was too yellow for my taste so I bought a Phoenix 14k.

One more question. How much useable space is there in the display part of the tank? More specifically, could you measure the distance from the front panel of the display tank to the black acrylic panel (separates the filter and display). I'm trying to figure out how wide the the display tank part is.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14052523#post14052523 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyclam
One more question. How much useable space is there in the display part of the tank? More specifically, could you measure the distance from the front panel of the display tank to the black acrylic panel (separates the filter and display). I'm trying to figure out how wide the the display tank part is.
A tiny bit more than 18 inches from the front to the acrylic.

Your tank is looking great. You have a nice selection of healthy corals and fish, plus a couple of nice accent invertebrates (clams, feather duster).

The only thing I might change is get those frags off the sandbed and maybe remove a little rock. It is starting to look a little cluttered (mainly just on the left side where you have all the frag "pucks").

But that is just my opinion, for I am addicted to minimalistic rock aquascapes with broad expanses of sand. Either way your tank is looking awesome and I can't wait to see it a year from now when everything is huge and grown in! Best of Luck!

I know someone already asked this, though I can't seem to find it: did you use the JBJ 150w 14K MH (standard), or did you use the XM or Pheonix (what K value too)?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14062224#post14062224 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyclam
I know someone already asked this, though I can't seem to find it: did you use the JBJ 150w 14K MH (standard), or did you use the XM or Pheonix (what K value too)?
I bought a Phoenix 14K.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14061712#post14061712 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyclam
Your tank is looking great. You have a nice selection of healthy corals and fish, plus a couple of nice accent invertebrates (clams, feather duster).

The only thing I might change is get those frags off the sandbed and maybe remove a little rock. It is starting to look a little cluttered (mainly just on the left side where you have all the frag "pucks").

But that is just my opinion, for I am addicted to minimalistic rock aquascapes with broad expanses of sand. Either way your tank is looking awesome and I can't wait to see it a year from now when everything is huge and grown in! Best of Luck!
Thanks! Yeah, I'm going to get rid of the pucks.

Nice Tank. I've got a jbj 28gallon HQI a few months ago. I live in England. Have you only got one powerhead in addition to the stock pumps outlets?

Sorry to bother you again, but what photoperiod do you have over the tank (ie: lights on for 8, 10, 12, ect hours)? Also, would you happen to know if the tank is acrylic or glass? I'm trying to figure out which type of algae magnet to get.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14065294#post14065294 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bonzoid
Nice Tank. I've got a jbj 28gallon HQI a few months ago. I live in England. Have you only got one powerhead in addition to the stock pumps outlets?
Thanks! When I bought the tank, it came with two powerheads.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14066192#post14066192 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyclam
Sorry to bother you again, but what photoperiod do you have over the tank (ie: lights on for 8, 10, 12, ect hours)? Also, would you happen to know if the tank is acrylic or glass? I'm trying to figure out which type of algae magnet to get.
My MH is on for 9 hours a day. From 8:00AM-5:00PM. The tank is glass. If you have anymore questions, don't be afraid to ask!

So the tank came with the 2 stock/return pumps + 2 extra powerheads?

PS: if you have removed the frag pucks I could use some more pics :D !

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14068813#post14068813 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyclam
So the tank came with the 2 stock/return pumps + 2 extra powerheads?

PS: if you have removed the frag pucks I could use some more pics :D !
No, just 2 stock pumps that's it. No extras.

I haven't yet, but I will. :D

Forgot to mention that I got some Seachem Reef salt and 2 damsels a couple of days ago. I also just came back from a LFS and I got E.S.V B-Ionic 2 part and I also traded with a local reefer and got a acan!Click the image to open in full size. Will post pictures later today.

Back