What a long strange trip it's been....

Agu

Premium Member
Back when I was a moderator on the nano forum I set up a 5.5 gallon nano tank. At the time it was considered foolish because the tank would inevitably crash. The first ten years were wonderful. I had to frag the trumpets and frogspawn regularly because they out grew their space. Then the corals died and I don't know why. I let the tank sit fallow with one yellow tailed blue damsel, one snail, and one hermit crab. Every year I'd try a small frag without success. Finally I tried anthelia which turned out to be a plague in my tank. The tank decided for me. After 17+ years and five moves (all fully set up) the tank failed and started leaking.

So what would you do? Replace the tank, go bigger, or leave the hobby?

Congratulations and condolences.

I hope you are doing well.

My suggestion is put the hobby on hold and become a lounger.

a fifty, especially a 52 bow (Oceanic if they still have them) is a real nice intermediate size. It would respond a great deal like your original nano, but with a little more leisure time in the maintenance schedule. Mine (with hood with large side gaps) evaps about a gallon a day in our climate.

I just shut down my 5g nano that has been going since 2008..had the exact same story...ran for about 5 years, Duncan's were over 100 heads, my light exploded, I sadly watched everything die, posted it all for free rehoming, no takers...it sat with water circulating for a year, I regularly topped it off still...finally bought a kessil and got it going again, was sad to shut it down...but really excited to get my 30g cube and everything moved into it.

Back