What am I?

I picked this up today and don't have an id. Any help?

102_1249.jpg

102_1245.jpg

Its usually better to ask that question before you buy. How do you know if you'll be able to keep it alive if you don't know its requirements?

I guess that's how LFS's stay in business though.

It's a poci. In a healthy tank, it'll heal. Mine was half dead when I bought it....one of my best pieces now.

has the growth pattern of a birdsnest, but polyps look like a pocci. if i had to guess though i would say birdsnest.

This is a tough one but I believe it to be a Caliendrum(birdsnest).
Damicornis usually has cluster tips while caliendrum will have more singlular points to the tips.

Damicornis
IMG_3173.jpg

Caliendrum
IMG_3319.jpg

Polyps on birdsnests look to be distinct rows. The polyps in the first OP pic are just a bit to irregular in placement, IMO.

I hope it will heal up. I think its a birdsnest. I got it from a lfs for $25, and the colony is close to 6 inches tall. Is there anything I can do to encourage the healing. All my other sps's are doing great. Thanks

Seriatopora caliendrum. It can't be a Pocillipora, as they always have verrucae (bumps) on their skeleton. This is clearly smooth.

I agree strongly with Wentreefgirl, they must have good circulation, although they seem to prefer moderate light. That said, I have seen them growing right at the water surface, not looking very attractive, but not really suffering. They were growing on the outflow pipe-end in extreme current..

Back