what animal for Zoology?

danfrith

Well, im currently in zoology in high school and our first project that we have (that will last all semester) is taking care of an animal. We are allowed to pick either a small mammal or smallish reptile. I was thinking about a snake? What do you guys think? Thanks.

Snakes are easy, especially ones that are eating frozen pinkies/mice.

You can get a dozen and keep them in the freezer. No trips to the store weekly for crickets or other live food.

Mammals eat and poop too much.

Let me know what you are wanting to keep and I probly can help you out a bit.

That seems like a really bad class project. What happens when the semester is over, and now you have a snake/ gerbil for years because some teacher thought she had a great lesson to teach you?

You did say pick so, does your teacher have enough animals to supply to all his/her classes? Is he/she supplying all the cages?
If I was a teacher I don't think I could get away with requiring each student to buy an animal that they would only be taking care of for a semester.
I would also feel irresponsable for what the students would do with the animals at the end of the term, especially being summer time, prime time for a bunch of youngsters (or their parents) to be ditching the said animal in a park.

Lol, its not dissection. And I agree it is kind of ridiculous because we do have to find a home for it or keep it ourselves at the end of the semester. I will probably plan on keeping it for awhile afterwards though.

Im almost positive I want a snake, but what type? Maybe a Boa species?

Im not completely inexperienced, I've kept many reptiles in the past, just never a snake, but my friends have had several over the years so it isnt to new.

I was hoping you would chime in Letmegrow. I know Tropical worlds pets usually has a decent selection of reptiles. So my question is what snake species, or am I forgetting about some major reason why a snake isnt a good choice?

Thanks.

Btw,we go out and buy the animal we choose at a pet store.

And on second thought, unless it is smaller constrictor species, idk if want a big Boa constrictor.

Last edited:
I'm really curious as to what the lesson being taught here is?
The whole thing seems pointless and even as state standards go I am positive that there is a better way to cover which ever one he/she is trying to cover.
Of course snowballing an administrator with a super-clever hands on activity is probably what the real agenda here is.

my parents would have been ****ed if i came home and told them i had to get a pet for a class. are you making this up so you have an excuse to get a snake? :) Is this a public school? 7.2 % unemployment and they are requiring parents to spend money on a pointless project? What happens if it dies? Do you fail? A small mammal/ reptile can die from any number of reasons other than neglect, I am really having a hard time understanding this..

Its the parkway (west) school district. Our school has been doing it for quite awhile now. If you cant afford it they can work with you to pay for it. My dads actually completely okay with it.;) My moms gonna flip though when she hears about it. We are told the first day of class that we have to keep an animal, and we have the option of switching out of the class if we'd like. It's actually not that bad, I just feel bad for the kids that have never kept a pet before.

The point of this project is to get a better understanding of animals and study them and their behavoir up close. And also, what their needs are and taking care of them.

So, what type of snake?

Rainbow Boa hands down. Not too big, Not too aggresive and looks awesome. I took this pic of one.
DSC00153-1.jpg

Other than that don't choose any other boa or python species.
They either get too big or cost too much.

I have a ton of snakes to choose from in the way of Corn, Milk, and King. My favorite right now is the pyro-mountain king.
I don't have a pic but I don't think one would do it justice.

Well I guess this just reinforces my belief that i am the worst science teacher in the world. At least I don't pretend to be a zoology teacher though.
Easy solution to needless deaths of small rodents/reptiles would be to require each kid to pick an animal at the zoo and observe it for several hours each Saturday and at the end of the term write up a report.

That looks really cool. How big is it? Does it require a lot of moisture? How is it with handling? How much does it cost? Thanks.

Any thoughts on a Ball python?

Last edited:
Back