What background do you prefer?

I used a really light strange color of blue almost a little green to it. Pretty closely resembles the water in a pool as you look across it from under water. It is the same color I painted all the tanks in the LFS that I managed eons ago. Anything not bright which would wash out the bright colors of your fish and corals.

+1 on Blue.

I went with Black but i found that my tank looked a lot darker than I like. The Blue reflects the light better and makes my tank look much brighter.

John

BLACK... I have a 54g corner tank and I put the black background and when you see the tank all colors pop out... Check my albums

I actually went blue. I would have gone one shade darker than I did but I thought it looked more natural then the black. Also the way my tank is lit makes the blue go from very light to very dark so it gives the appearance of going deeper in water.

If you go black, make sure you don't use glossy vinyl or glossy paint. If you have an conspecific aggressive fish, it will spend 99.9% of it's time behind the rocks against the glass. My LMB sits there all day attacking himself, I think he's going to die from a heart attack one of these days.

I have that 2 sided background roll from petsmart, one side is blue the other is black. Every few months I flip my background around... my husband LOVES the black... and I love the blue. I definitely agree the black looks "cleaner" and the corals contrast really nice. But the blue is just so calming... can't decide :) The fish definitely get irritaed for the first few days after I put the black color back on... they see their reflections easier because like stated above, it's a little glossy.

I used a designer Calvin Kline brush on blue on my first tank (75 gal). I liked the look and it appeared to give the tank more depth.

On my second, and subsequent tanks, I went with the basic Krylon flat black spray paint. I prefer the black. It looks less natural but the colors do stand out better.

definitely the foam background. it's similar to the rock idea, but with very little work to apply. Also after you apply it, you can let coralline grow on it and it looks better! No scraping coralline!!

I've used krylon fusion Black on the back of my tanks. I always thought the blue looked a little to artificial for my tastes.

Back