What do I do with this pencil urchin?

Bent

I got nothin'
My wife is nice. I've been talking about getting a tuxedo urchin, and I came home to find a very pretty, very huge pencil urchin roaming my display.

I don't know what to do with it. If I sump it, I'm afraid it will get all over my float switches, plus idk what grump will do to him.

If I put him in my refugium I wonder how fast he will eat the macroalgae in there.

Anyone want to come get a pencil urchin?

I do not have a pic, but grump is a very large, very angry stone crab who lives in my sump.

He is about the size of a softball and does not like visitors, including myself. He makes working on the sump....difficult.

I do not have a pic, but grump is a very large, very angry stone crab who lives in my sump.

He is about the size of a softball and does not like visitors, including myself. He makes working on the sump....difficult.
I gotta see this... how did you get him - and do you feed him in the sump?

I gotta see this... how did you get him - and do you feed him in the sump?

He eats whatever floats down there, plenty of detritus to sift through. Sometimes I'll give him shrimp or frozen cubes of blender mush.

I've had him ohhh 3-4ish years. He came in as a hitch hiker on a TBS rock shipment about the size of my thumbnail. I didn't have the heart to murder him so I threw him in the sump to have half a chance. He did very well lol.

I'll try to snap a pic tonight. I've caught him roaming my basement on more than one occasion.

He eats whatever floats down there, plenty of detritus to sift through. Sometimes I'll give him shrimp or frozen cubes of blender mush.

I've had him ohhh 3-4ish years. He came in as a hitch hiker on a TBS rock shipment about the size of my thumbnail. I didn't have the heart to murder him so I threw him in the sump to have half a chance. He did very well lol.

I'll try to snap a pic tonight. I've caught him roaming my basement on more than one occasion.

I think a grumpy crab specific display refugium is in order! He seems like a real pet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s sitting on a fluval sp6 in this pic. The elbow is a 2” elbow..

So he’s idk 4ish inches wide?

l8bM9Lo.jpg

That's awesome. So he climbs out of the sump and wanders around and climbs back in? LOL

Lol yep. Sometimes as I'm coming down the steps I'll hear "œclickity clickity splash" from him running back to the sump and jumping in.

That’s some good eating right there. The claws can be snapped at he knuckle, they regrow them.

I’ve been on the wrong end of those things one too many times, trust me it’s crossed my mind more than once. Lol

I'll bring the drawn butter! LOL.

I only got boring hitch hiker with my TBS live rock, like gorilla crabs, polyclad flatworms, feather dusters.

Back