What do you think the fastest growing SPS is?

larry jacksons purple tipped monster

from this...

LJptm00322_JFRMedium.jpg

to this in 8 months!

CRW_3685_RJMedium.jpg

or this unknown possiably A nana

from this

BBfrag00389_RJMedium.jpg

to this in 8 months

CRW_3684_RJMedium.jpg

charlie

Second the Larry Jackson. It is an absolure weed in my tank albeit a very nice looking weed. It outpaces my slimer near 2-1 in growth size.

I agree slimmer grows like chaeto for me..

Here is my tank back in December, the slimmer is to the upper left.
Picture029.jpg

Here is my tank end of January... Look at the growth
Picture001-3.jpg

Its insane.....

Montipora Digitata grow almost to weed like proportions. They are seriously almost a nucence coral, having to be constantly trimmed because they grow into the glass.

After that my Pink BN grows extremely fast, as well as my turquoise stag. For some odd reason, my green slimer didnt grow a bit in over 10 months. I recently broke the tip off of it in purpose and it has grown over 1/4" in a few weeks and is starting another branch...who knows, hopefully that thing takes off now.

so it seems like everybody thinks that the bali slimer grows extremely fast and from SPANKEYS pictures it looks like it grows almost as fast a xenia. what do you think grows faster? acropora or montipora or millepora? i love orange cap, rose millepora, and that acropora in HORACES avatar. is that coral a fast grower?

From my experience, `green slimer' and `bali slimer' can refer to two very different Acropora.

Some folks use them to refer to the same thing, but the `tyree bali slimer' I got a number of years ago was quite unlike the `standard green slimer' I also had - IME not the same coral. My `bali green' did not grow appreciably fast - my `green slimer' averages 1" every other month for a few years of growth so far.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9245372#post9245372 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sethd12
i will have to give the bali slimer a try. i was wondering also if you guys have noticed if a frag is too small that it doesnt do very well and if you put to much glue on a frag it will kill it? i know that the glue is true but i didnt know if the size of the frag really mattered or not.

Actually, I had coral that touched a rock for a while and when I moved it, it left probably around 2 mm of skin. I thought nothing of it, but now it's probably 1/4 of an inch. And I had other 1/4 inch (probably 4 or 5) glued to a rock just to see if they would grow, and I think 4 of them are growing now. One quickly died and covered in coralline algae. Just so you know!!

so how can i tell the difference between the slimers? I know ORA sells a slimer but i think it is the green slimer. any color variations that make one better than the other?

surprised no one's mentioned a poccilopora. Mine started as a 3/4" double branched frag. It's a little baseball in about 4-5 months. I don't consider the growth in my tank to be that quick, either.

CMC- i have also noticed things like that happening in my tank. I have noticed that once a sps is fragged, it will either die extremely quick or slowly start to grow. i recently fragged a pink BN and it died within one day, but i fragged a ORA tort and it is still going great a week later. Hopefully it will start to encrust soon on the frag plug and start to grow pretty fast.

have you noticed any differences with the pink pocillapora and the green pocillapora or are they the same just different colors.lol

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9247070#post9247070 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Horace
Montipora Digitata grow almost to weed like proportions. They are seriously almost a nucence coral, having to be constantly trimmed because they grow into the glass.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
I consider Digitata to be the Damsel of the coral world. It's often recommended as a starter but you later wish you hadn't put it in there...

Acropora microphthalma at 1.5 - 1.75" per month and Acropora yongei at 1 - 1.5" per month.

Regards,
Kevin

Do you guys find that once a coral starts growing and gets bigger, the growth rate becomes exponential? I've got a TON of small 3/4" to 1.5" frags in my tank and can only hope that they start to ramp up their growth rate as they spend time in the tank.

Back