What do you think the fastest growing SPS is?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9247421#post9247421 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sethd12
i love orange cap, rose millepora, and that acropora in HORACES avatar. is that coral a fast grower?

Actually my avatar is an old picture of my Pink/Orange Montipora Digitata. Its easily the fastest growing coral in my tank. I have some growth pictures of it but I have fragged it so many times it wouldnt even be a true representation of how fast it grows (even though the pictures are still dramatically different).

Do you guys find that once a coral starts growing and gets bigger, the growth rate becomes exponential?
That is correct. It can take up to six months in extreme cases to get a frag growing well. Once they get a couple of feet across watch out! :rollface:

Regards,
Kevin

100% agree with Kevin.

In my experience, the # of active growth tips tells a lot about a coral/frag's immediate future.

Those little 1/2" frags with one growth tip sure take a while ... often months for a couple more growth-tips to appear. After a year you have many growth tips .... and IME the coral grows at a much faster rate [growing from all tips at roughly the rate the few/single tip used to ... sometimes faster given time/acclimation in one spot].

horace- do you by chance have any frags of that pink digitata? i love that coral, it is very pretty. so how fast do you guys think a .25 inch of tort will grow? how long will it take to encrust and really start growing fast?

bali green slimer and birdsnest. my tort is slow as shi*. how do u guys get them growing fast?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9249525#post9249525 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sethd12
horace- do you by chance have any frags of that pink digitata? i love that coral, it is very pretty. so how fast do you guys think a .25 inch of tort will grow? how long will it take to encrust and really start growing fast?

If you want to stop by the house your more than welcome to get a frag lol. It doesnt look the way my avatar does now though. that picture was taken under actinic with T5 only back when the coral was much lighter in color. Now its more of an orangeish color than the pink it used to be. Here is a recent shot of it.

TankSideFeb7-2007.jpg

i would love to get a frag of that. i live in sc but my brother lives in chicago. how far away is your home from chicago?

oh, ok. well would you be willing to sell me a few pieces and i will pay shipping and for the frag? i have only seen a brown with purple tip digitata. what other color variations are there? the pink/purple that you have is truely amazing.

wow. could you possibly post pictures of these corals? i have searched the internet and havent found any good pictures that shows their true color.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9249475#post9249475 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MiddletonMark
100% agree with Kevin.

In my experience, the # of active growth tips tells a lot about a coral/frag's immediate future.

Those little 1/2" frags with one growth tip sure take a while ... often months for a couple more growth-tips to appear. After a year you have many growth tips .... and IME the coral grows at a much faster rate [growing from all tips at roughly the rate the few/single tip used to ... sometimes faster given time/acclimation in one spot].

Which is why I like putting new frags on their side. They tend to develope more growth tips faster. They may take off a little slower, but after a couple of months, they come out noticibly ahead.

As to Digi being the damsels of the coral, I disagree. Damsels are so bad because they kill things. Pretty much everything kills digi.

I've got a brown really fuzzy cap with purple rim, and I put it in the tank at about the size of a dime, a couple months ago, and its now about 6" across.

how about the table acro's? from what i have seen they are pretty slow growers. anybody have any different results?

is there a difference in the plating montiporas or acroporas compared to the regular monti's and acro's.

Back