What happened to this site

Justanano

I come on here every once in awhile and it gets deader every time....its a said day on this site when you have memories how great it was... cricket cricket is all that is here

Slowly it became for sale only. Then everyone migrated to another sight. Now though that ones slowly becoming for sale posts as well, with everyone divided between trying to keep it alive, moving to a third site, or posting on facebook groups. I miss the time when community was strong and everyone knew one another.

I’ve been lurking on this site for six months or so and am quite surprised by the lack of activity. So I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one noticing this.

Yea, I think the actual club moved their "home" page to another site, so it's really just old-school folks hanging out here.

I don't have fb but this site has slowly dropped the pages in which we can even view previous posts. In addition to a lot of ppl selling cheato & xenia. I remember just being given nice equipment & when I was done with it I gave it to another person. ��*♂️

Sorry lol that's what I get for texting while watching a movie. I'm only on here & the other site. I don't have a fb acct. On this site our previous posts have been slowly archived or removed. Our pages minimized making it harder to search for anything especially if you forgot the specifics to a certain thread.
This forum & the other one have been a nonstop sale thread - even for things like xenia or chaeto. I remember if someone needed something simple like this ppl on here were gladly giving it away to help someone out.
I remember I was looking to buy a hob refuge & Gary Parr gave it to me no questions asked. When I was done with it I remember asking him if he wanted it back a few years later & he said no. To pay it forward. I waited until I saw someone post on here that they needed one & I paid it forward like it was done to me. This is lost now.
That's what I meant.

On this site our previous posts have been slowly archived or removed. .

This is the first thing I don't understand. I just reversed the forum view order and there are posts in here back to 2006. I don't understand what you think is missing.

This forum & the other one have been a nonstop sale thread - even for things like xenia or chaeto. I remember if someone needed something simple like this ppl on here were gladly giving it away to help someone out.
I remember I was looking to buy a hob refuge & Gary Parr gave it to me no questions asked. When I was done with it I remember asking him if he wanted it back a few years later & he said no. To pay it forward. I waited until I saw someone post on here that they needed one & I paid it forward like it was done to me. This is lost now.
That's what I meant.

I hear ya. The "forum" can't fix this. That's people...that's engagement...that's a culture I feel like some of us old schoolers have that seems to have faded away. You need a frag, here ya go....You need some salt or RO, here ya go....Feels like many people just want to make a buck.

The forum need to be more learning and teaching than selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The forum need to be more learning and teaching than selling.

Well, the other 50% of the world thinks it should be the exact opposite.
That this should be a place for locals to buy goods cheaply from local reefers...Helping others to get started.

Lol before u buy u need to know how to keep them alive. Im reading thread which tank crash or reefer cant keep sps alive daily. Nowadays reefing technology improve so much but we lost the most important key of reef tank successful ingredients is live rock from the ocean. Without live rock from the ocean like in the 90 reef tank now missing a lot of beneficial bacteria and microorganisms which needed to run a reef tank. Reefer now using dead dry rock and minimalist aquascape which translate to less place for bacteria to populate. And running unls tank which all equal to unbalanced biology to the tank equal to tank crash or dying sps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol before u buy u need to know how to keep them alive.

You're preaching to the choir.
If I see another FB post about getting rid of brown diatoms on a new tank or
ID'ing an aiptasia anemone, I'm gonna scream.
Read one yesterday about a guy with a 30 gallon tank with like 8 fish in it trying to pick his next one.
I firmly believe it's a culture thing and I'll be the old guy here...
I read books for months before I started a tank. Now, everyone just wants to ask on FB or a forum and have everyone else fix their problems that they didn't consider.

It's been almost 4 years since my last post when I got out of he hobby. Nice to see some familiar screen names. I dropped in just to see if anyone is still using metal halide. I'm making space in my basement and came across an old Lumenarc Diamond 3 and some generic DE fixture. So Hello to the few of you that remain.

It was pretty crazy, fun, and OT back in the day. Lots of people got banned. I think that hurt after awhile also.

Mike I'm the old guy. Tony I think the OT took over then the bans, people don't want to deal with all that. We used to have large groups visiting our forum often, now no fish want to come to our school. A lot of people gave up for one reason or another. I still have a 210 running with really nice fish and plan on starting to add some rics and zoas, easy color.

I know a LOT of people actually went out to the OT meetups I started. Good times hitting up fish shops on the bus tours and meeting up in person. There were so many people I remember that were so happy we were around because they didn't know anyone else. Lots of great friendships and just a really good time in the forums.

We should all start a Facebook group and being back the community side of the hobby. This platform is unfortunately not looking like it will get much more traction

We should all start a Facebook group and being back the community side of the hobby.

This is exactly our point.
We're losing to FB because it's quick and easy answers.

Community?!? On FB?
I'm in plenty of reef groups on FB and it's a troll haven train wreck.

Here, you can create a true community again. But we can't make people come back here.

Back