What is the best camera

nice photos wetWolger! I was searching and found a 3yr old 5D for sale with 9,000 acuations, for 1,300 bucks. Is that a good deal or is that a little to old now with the 7D on the market. Haven't had any luck finding 50D's(That aren't sold already)

The 5D is a great camera, (i.e. I have no intention of selling mine). That's a decent price/

5D is a great camera. Bear in mind the 5D and 7D are really two different animals (full frame vs. high speed crop).

$1300 is in the ballpark. For reference I paid a little less than that for my 5D with an L bracket and extra battery.

Happy Turkey Day!

I bought the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi 10 mp. For the price I think it is a really good camera. You could buy a really nice macro tho!

The biggest reason I don't want to jump to full frame is that it pushes the lenses so much harder. Based on what I had seen with my friends 5D, it seems like previously great lenses look like crap on the full frame. The reason being that the defects in the image seem to mostly be in the area that would have normally been cropped out.

Full frame would be sweet, and if you want to drop the $$ for L glass, then there is just no beating it. But honestly I like having a crop sensor, I think it does pretty well, allows for more lens options (EF-S).

If it were me, I would buy a 7D over a 5D (although nothing could make me turn down a 5DmkII)

Bing cashback is 20% at Dell right now. There are several Canon DSLR's among everything else that Dell offers... There are probably better deals around for the T1i and XSi... but for the 7D or 5D mkII this looks to be the best thing going for the moment. (~ $1500 and $2800 for the KITS respectively)

Sweet thanks i'll check that out mean while i found two lenses near me for sale didn't know if they were any good or not?

1. SP AF180mm F/3.5 Di LD IF MACRO
2. Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro EX DG
Thanks again.

I sell cameras part time to pay for school and I can tell you from my experience that the biggest mistake people make when buying a first DSLR is to jump into mid-high price range bodies.

Quite honestly, if I could recommend any camera to a person who has $1500 to spend, it would probably something along the lines of a Nikon D40 (unfortunately, out of production), a Canon Rebel XS, or a Nikon D3000. Those are all the entry level bodies. Better yet, check your local Craigslist and pick up something used. There's a lot of people who jump into photography without the slightest idea of how to take a good picture and are selling very lightly used equipment for decent prices. There's also some people who have upgraded their bodies and will sell you a well used, but pristine body at a good price as well.

Next, take your $1000 or so that you saved and invest in a nice lens. I say invest because that's exactly what you're doing. The next camera body you buy will take that same lens (pending you stay with the same manufacturer) and will take just as good of a photo as it did on your previous camera.

If you want video as well, look at the T1i or the D5000. Either way, shop for a beginner style body. It's your introduction to DSLR photography. You don't want to be too overwhelmed by all the different buttons and modes which might put you off from really getting to know your camera.

However, while all the reading on the internet and advice from different people is great, the single best thing you can do is go into a store and hold the cameras. Get a feel for it, snap a few shots, etc. See how it feels in your hand. How you like the control laid out, etc. That's the most important step.

Last edited:
I loved my digital rebel but recently upgraded to the 7D and it is a perfect fit for me, but i also actually use the HD video function. for school to get that "cinema/ filmic" look. here's an example i recently shot and posted elsewhere:
http://www.vimeo.com/7860888

when i got my first DSLR (canon xsi) i thought i would use it forever/ less then a year latter i ended upgrading... point being buying a camera is kinda like buying a skimmer or any other fish tank equipment; buy the biggest/ best you can afford, and it might aliveate future upgrade costs. there will always be something to dream about for me the 5DmkII when the 24p firmware update is released.

+1 for Canon 7D!

My local shop also has this one

100mm f/2.8 USM macro lens

Thanks everyone but when i held all the cameras the 50D Seemed to be the one for me. 7D is sweet but just too much money and i've already got a camcorder:D. Thanks again. Still not a lot of nikon suggestions. I'm surprised.

well the 50D is a great camera and it too has a decent video function, but use it in 720 not 1080 (the best it can record in 1080 is 20fps which comes out pretty choppy) even if you have a camcorder give your DSLR video function a try and you will be amazed at the difference/ unless your camcorder is a RED ONE :D

the DOF that DSLR video has opened up to the average consumer is a substantial technological leap for pennies on the dollar/ sorry I'm getting off topic

Pentax K-x looks really cool too/ awesome weather proofing and nice glass. and there's the Panasonic DMC-GH1 too. Don't forget to look at other then the bit two (Canon/ Nikon) brands.

sorry i was thinking of the 500D which is the same as the T1i (it think) my friend from Taiwan has one and it is pretty nice.

Pentax K-x looks really cool too/ awesome weather proofing and nice glass. and there's the Panasonic DMC-GH1 too. Don't forget to look at other then the bit two (Canon/ Nikon) brands.

The Kx lacks the weather sealing, but you nailed on the good glass. The kit comes with the 55-300 DAL. A cheaper version of the ~$400 DA version, but the quality optics remain.

New circumstances have allowed me to open my search up a whole lot! i've been looking at the canon 7D a little and the nikon D700 a little as well but, Are they worth all that extra money? Also why would the 5D mark ll not have built in flash and do you guys use the built in flash very often? Thanks

Regarding the decision between D700 and 5DmkII, they're both great cameras. Buy the one that feels the most intuitive.

Back