What is the correct way to mount a Monti Cap frag

Rare Angels

I received a small frag of a montri cap, I am wondering how to mount it to a frag plug or the aquascaping?

Should the side with the break be mounted to the plug?
Should the frag point up and look like a shark fin or should it somehow be flat?

If someone has a picture of a montri cap frag mounted that would be great. Thanks for any help

Dave

MontiYellowPolyp4.jpg

MontiPurpleHaze.jpg

MontiAtlantisPinkPolyp.jpg

Nice pics, dc_909! You can really mount it anyway you'd like. I mounted mine right on top of a rock with some Loctite Super Glue Gel. Worked great. I've also created a groove in a piece of rock and glued a frag into the groove. Here's my current cap. :)

OrangeMontiCap.jpg

:)

I tried glueing mine with superglue, but I kept knocking it off (tight space in my 55) so I had it balanced at an angle against some rocks where it was pretty stable and when I went to place it again, it had attached itself! I guess that's where it is going to stay.

Monti's slime up pretty good IME, so I used the largest surface/surface contact I could get. Then used the Aquamend/superglue gel method. Worked every time.

Hey Drummereef
I have a frag of monti cap just like that about the size of a credit card. how old is your colony and when did it start to cup?
Thanks

according to the Garf site....
if you mount the frag vertical you'll get more plates!
Just use a little superglue gel along the bottom of the rim and attach
like in the picture below!
1272145plates.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9763651#post9763651 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hangles
Hey Drummereef
I have a frag of monti cap just like that about the size of a credit card. how old is your colony and when did it start to cup?
Thanks

I got the frag from a fellow reefer around October 2006. Right now it is approx 6-8" in diameter. A lot of growth has happened in the last couple months. All under PC lighting none the less. Here's some growth pics.

Original frag when I got it
MontiCapFrag.jpg

Current
MontiCapToday.jpg

:)

Don't think there is any right or wrong way to mount it, I mount mines all sorts of ways, even made a tree like style from many frag pieces of my blue polyp cap, looks pretty nice I must say, but always have the polyp side facing the light not the bottom side though.

Back