What is the the best coral food u ever used for sps?

I only know what I was told. I worked at a LFS on Long Island and we would go collect live shrimp for sale at the store. We collected in several different areas and always caught the same shrimp that I was told was mysis and they sure looked just like the frozen ones. This comes from real world experience not something I read. It is possible that we where getting many different shrimps but they all looks the same weather they came from fresh water or salt.
As for my comment on blood worm. I said I would not feed they to my marine fish not only are they not a natural food source but frozen blood worms have a lot of nasty bloody red water in them when thawed (even after being rinsed), I would not want to add any of that at all to my water. This is just my opinion not saying it is right or wrong.

no, seems like more of a case of "heard from some guy"

what makes u think you can tell the species of a shrimp upon looking at it, and go as far as saying they are PE mysis cause they look like it ? come on !
and just so you know, they ARE NOT .... so maybe next time look more carefully.

secondly, MYSIS is freshwater, MYSID is salt water. so if you see a mysis in freshwater, its a mysid.

PE mysis is the stuff sold by a company names PE by the way, its not the shrimps name. I posted info on last page, seems like u missed it.

gost shrimp and pe mysis arent even comaprable ... so that's that.

blood in blood worms ? LOL u know they are just caleld that, and they are not actually made of BLOOD or human blood right ? lol u can rinse it on thawing, but fair enough that its your opinion,

I hope you double check before posting stuff like this, which we see alot of.

Actually some of the marketing cites the freshwater nature of PE mysis as a plus. They argue the lack of sodium in them is better for marine fish since they will have less salt to expel. That makes no sense to me as it would rule out most foods natural to them. Marine fish are well suited to maintaing their internal sg, they expel salts all the time to maintain an internal sg of 1.008 in water averaging 1.0264. PE mysis are freshwater shrimp for the most part and marketed as such. They may be a very fine marine food as other freshwater organisms are like cyclopeeze, grown in artic lakes or even broccolli and carrots.

As for bloodworms( midge fly larvae), the relatively high protein content and ammino acids are a plus in my opinion since more protein proportionate to phospahte in any foodforaref tank is a good thing. The red water probably holds useful nutrients but I rinse all frozen food thoroughly in any case, mainly to reduce phospate additions to the aquarium from the packing water and to disinfect it a bit to help prevent vibrio bacteria.

can we get back on topic.... coral foods.....

we never left the topic :)

coral food > one of which is fish poop > fish poops comes from what fish eats.

all relavant to me.

after all, you are feeding a REEf tank. not species by species. and if that was the case, we should specify what SPS species eats what.

I see nothing wrong with learning new stuff, do u ?

these boards are for sharing info.

can we get back on topic.... coral foods.....

A coral food is a source of organic carbon,nitrogen and phosphorous which contributes a variety of compounds ,(some amino acids, acetate, carbohydrates and an endless list of organics ) to the tank initially and more combinations as it feeds bacteria and degrades as particulate organic matter or dissolved organic matter . So, organic sources added are coral foods whether they are added as "fish" foods, foods for micro fauna, or even organic carbon dosing (vokda, vinegar, biopellets, etc) . What's in a particular food is relevant since it's part of the organics web in the tank. Foods with amino and proteins are probably good bets as are small micron foods for direct feedng , though most foods will breakdown to small particles and dissolved organics at some point..

Many rely on feeding without stuff marketed as coral food including me but it doesn't mean my corals don't get food. The coral food I use starts out mostly as organic material marketed as fish food . Some as vodka or vinegar.

Consideration of all the foods put into a tank is relevant to a discussion on coral food .
Whether only foods indigenous to a marine environment should be considered vs a broader approach including things like PE mysis, cyclopeze and bloodworms in a reef tank is not off topic,imo.

Honestly you dont feed your corals, you feed your system. A lot of the energy that people put into adding more organics to their tank in order to encourage coral growth and color might be better spent on improving water quality. Sometimes that is what the extra organics do. Sometimes the system isnt able to handle them and the response isnt so positive. A systematic approach to coral nutrition is likely to be more effective than one that attempts to segregate coral food from the other organics added to the system.

Yes, this is all true but I thought he was asking specifically about "coral food." Like food marketed as coral food. Not food for fish that make poo that feed corals. Its all good info, but it just detracts from the thread. If you guys don't think so, disreguard what I am saying. I just see lots of posts get off topic thats all.

There should be another thread for the improvement of fish poo for SPS, I think as far as it goes WQ, good lighting, and nutrients of some kind are the idea. All these things along with a stable tank should allow good growth, as for what the "best" method is well pappone has some strong evidence for it. Look up some of the italian tanks that are using this and the Blu Coral Method and see for yourself.

what makes u think you can tell the species of a shrimp upon looking at it, and go as far as saying they are PE mysis cause they look like it ? come on !

secondly, MYSIS is freshwater, MYSID is salt water. so if you see a mysis in freshwater, its a mysid.

PE mysis is the stuff sold by a company names PE by the way, its not the shrimps name. I posted info on last page, seems like u missed it.

blood in blood worms ? LOL u know they are just caleld that, and they are not actually made of BLOOD or human blood right ? lol u can rinse it on thawing, but fair enough that its your opinion,

So the guy doesn't know as much as you about shrimp. You don't have to be a dick about it.

What happend to kindler gentler nation? This is supposed to be fun

Ok not going to argue. I was just sharing my experience. I mean who else here has been knee deep is swamp muck netting shrimp? I can say I have.

Isn't it just a bunch of dissolved fish poo and food??? I had an in-sump skimmer over flow back into the water once and man my corals went nuts. I've never done it on purpose cause I was worried about nitrates and phosphates.

Mostly yes you are correct but don't get carried away remember we are taking it out of the water for reason

Skimate is not really dissolved food. Skimmers trap certain organics in the air water interface;those that are ampipathic( have a postive and negative charge) one side pulls toward the water and the other the air . Bacteria and some compounds are skimable but it's not really a solid food source with C,N,P and other elements corals may need. Skimmers may also blow out particulate matter and some toxins. I would not put skimate in my tanks.
Personally, I use Coral frenzy ( it has some small micron foods in the mix for sps and filter feeders) when I choose to feed corals which isn't very often( once a week or every two weeks) .I rely prmarily on the braodcast heavy feeding I do for everything in the tank The mix includes : frozen brine, mysis, bloodworm, cyclopeeze and some spirulina flakes, prime reef flakes and nori. Not sure corals will consume fish crap;I don't think they do. The waste is basically what the fish didn't need to grow tissue such as excess phosphate and nitrogen and maybe some organic carbon but not a food per se; more like a fetilizer.

Back