What is this!? Mini Star Fish?

I have no coral so for now I think it's just cool to have IMHO.

Well, it may be cool to have now until it starts reproducing and you cant control it. I'm not one to like the idea of adding one creature to control another, why not prevent it?

i saw three of these about 5 months ago and have yet to see any since. They don't seem to be multiplying in my tank....

I caught a similar species the other day. It was what appeared to be a mini serpent or brittle star. All white with 5 very thin tentacles. Couldn't have been bigger than an inch. Wasn't sure what to make of it. Since I have no Reef I wasn't overly concerned. I was kind of excited actually because I thought my Green Brittle star had multiplied somehow. Sorry no pictures. I don't have that capability at this time.

They are absolutely harmful!! I have witnessed several of the thousands in my tank chomp on and kill polyps of zoas and palys. I also had a star kill a small frag of leather coral. They seem to easily overpower small zoa polyps and even small/medium paly polyps. They don't seem to have the size/power to get to the bigger palys, just make them close up. I at first liked them until I witnessed this. However, I have way too many now. I can't keep any small frags in my DT, I have to wait until they get bigger. I did get a harlequin and I have witnessed him feeding on the stars, but he can't keep up. My tank is 90 gal w/ 55 gal sump and 38 gal attached frag tank. As soon as you see one, get it out!!!

Back