What is your emergency power outage plan?

I have a 7000 watt portable generator that will run all of my pumps and heaters. It will also run a space heater and that combined with my fire place will be enough to keep me afloat. Winter is always the time I worry about.

Mine is to say HOLY CRAP then run an extension cord to the neighbors house, but if theirs is off too, I'm done. Would have to make a lot of calls to find a generator. :hammer:

Guess I'll be looking for a generator now that you bring this up. We don't lose power at all around here and when we do it's off for a very short time. But you never know.

I invested in ecotech powerheads with battery backup for short term power outages to keep flow going in the tank and a portable generator if a long term outage occurs. Knock on wood we hardly ever lose power as well but we did lose it for over a week a few years back during the October storms in the northeast. I wasn't in the hobby at that time but it got me thinking when I started to grab a generator. I believe mine is 7000 watts as well but never had to fire it up.

Sk8r just had a thread up here not to long ago. She had an extended outage and gave a pretty in depth play by play and recovery.

We have never had an extended power outage - maybe a couple hours here and there but nothing I've worried about.... until recently. We were without power for just under 2 days. Sk8r actually has a couple posts regarding her outage which was much longer. I was able to move some of the fish from my reef into a smaller tank that I kept in front of the fireplace to keep warm, scooping and pouring water semi-regularly to keep it oxygenated. The reef tank got way too cold and I lost about 1/3 of my livestock.

We now have a generator that will power everything on all 3 of the tanks (reef, salty QT and fresh), as well as the furnace and other necessities for us.

I have a battery back up for my main pump for when I'm not home and a portable generator that I can use for when I am home. My main concern is the oxygen exchange and water movement followed by temperature.

75988.jpg

How much power do you generate off of solar during a winter storm?

I have a generator and 10 gallons of gas in the garage. Enough to keep the tank and the fridge running along with a lamp or two for a few days.

I happen to be in the solar business, while great as a net metered solution to save on you electric bills, conventional solar will only work when the grid is operational. Otherwise you would require an inverter and battery backup system that run at all times to keep the batteries charged. The DC voltage direct off of a solar panel is far to volatile otherwise. by law when a grid failure occurs the power from a solar system is automatically disconnected from the grid, the reason behind this is that the current created would flow back into the grid charging the utility lines. This could mean electrocution for anyone working on the electric systems.

The maintenance on the batteries alone would be significant. Granted our tanks aren't using huge amounts of power, my money would be on a generator, much more cost effective for this scenario.

Back