What is your favorite tang?

The very rare powder red tang...
powderredtang.jpg

If you want rare tangs, here's three of my many favorites-

Naso Caeruleacauda - Bluetail Unicorn Tang
Naso Minor - Sleek Unicorn Tang
Ctenochaetus Marginatus - Bluespotted Bristletooth Tang

These aren't mine but in order- N. Caeruleacauda, N. Minor, C. Marginatus
Naso%20caeruleacauda%20Bluetail%20unicornfish%20school%20Raja%20Ampat%20West%20Papua%20IMG_0882.jpg

namin_u1.jpg

bristletooth.jpg

Achilles, gem, purple. Had a gem for about 5 years they are nice in person, still have a purple very nice in a different flashier way.achilles is my fav looking I had one once and it got ich and died.it ate but never did well I wouldnt ever own another and can't think of anyone that's had luck long term with one.to me it's too much of a liability to get ich and give it to everyone else. Never had probs w any other kinds of fish or ich but that one.

Achilles, gem, purple. Had a gem for about 5 years they are nice in person, still have a purple very nice in a different flashier way.achilles is my fav looking I had one once and it got ich and died.it ate but never did well I wouldnt ever own another and can't think of anyone that's had luck long term with one.to me it's too much of a liability to get ich and give it to everyone else. Never had probs w any other kinds of fish or ich but that one.

Nice collection :thumbsup:

What happened to the Gem?

Sold it mid cities aquariums one day, they put it in a tank of yellows and a few days later it died. Kinda sad when i got it it was the size of a quarter.....so small I almost thiught it was joke when i opened the box from the vendor.

sold it mid cities aquariums one day, they put it in a tank of yellows and a few days later it died. Kinda sad when i got it it was the size of a quarter.....so small i almost thiught it was joke when i opened the box from the vendor.

:( :( :(

What is your favorite tang?

Of my tangs my favorite is the Orange Shoulder Tang. (I don't have exotic ones). Had a powder blue when I started, for about a year, died as I didn't know what I was doing then. I mention it as I find the Orange Shoulder actually more pleasing on the eye, which surprises me.

For me the + of the O.S.T. are: mine has a great character, feeds from hand, is tank boss but still friendly with the other tangs. The main body is two shades of faun, then the Orange shoulder lapel and gorgeous flashes of electric blue in the fins plus some details that catch the light as he swims. The tail has a great forked end. Trouble is it does not photograph well. Looks much more beautiful than my Hippo Tang, which by contrast actually looks better in some photos than in reality LOL.

I personally find the yellow and sail fin tangs can be a bit skittish, and the hippo tangs hide too much. All personal taste.

If my tank wasn't full I'd definitely look at a Chevron. The Clowns are stunning but their aggression would worry me (especially with more than one tang). Nasos grow too huge. Great thread, loved the Acunthus hybrid photographs!

Back