What Made You Start?

Deerfield public pool had a goldfish catch day to end the summer when I was about 11. I've had tanks ever since.

i started off with freshwater tropical. then karenL (whom i work with) talked me into a 29g reef. it wasn't too expensive. then i decided to upgrade to a 120g. now i have to work extra hours every week :mad2: so that i can "afford my upgrade" :lol: :lol:

I started freshwater tanks when i was about 12.
When i was about 21 i started my first saltwater tank.
I think i made just about every mistake there was to make with SW, even putting seahorses in with damsels.

But even with all the problems i had back then, i can honestly say that i've always enjoyed all of my SW tanks.

I want something beautiful and relaxing to take my mind away from my stressful and hectic life. I picked reef keeping. And then, it got worse. :)

--Bucky

I got started because I can never get enough of the skimmer going crazy and over flowing onto the rug. That smell just is awesome! Or the flooding of the basement when you forget to shut off the Ro unit. Or the 210 having a seam go and leaking all over the basement leading to almost total loss of all the stuff inside.

Ok Ok I have been in the saltwater hobby for ever and do it to relax....Sounds relaxing doesnt it?

It all started when my parents couldn't afford a television, so Mom put me on top of the clean laundry in the basket to watch my Dad's fish. The rest is history! I have been keeping fish for over 30 years now & worked in the industry for about 8. In all that time, I tryed my best to stay away SW sections. I was totally intimidated & they looked way too expensive. Never in my wildest dreams figured I'd be keeping reef tanks. Who knew it was going to be this easy!

There was a pet shop by 103rd and Roberts Road.Got all my Discus stuff from Norm,when one day I asked the fatal question.What's that mushroom looking thing on that rock?25 years later,I'm in the same boat as you folks! John

BUMP come on guys keep this thread going like that total volume thread on reef discussion or whatever.

when i was 3, my dad bought me a fish and i loved it so much i took it out of the water and put it on my pillow so i can sleep with it. unfortunately, i woke up next to a fish shaped, dry, beef jerky looking thing.
i was devastated, but i learned a few things since. fish need water being one of them.

1976, 55 gallon hex, undergravel filter, hagan powerflo, strips lights, yellow tang, emperor snapper, snowflake moray, panther grouper, dwarf lionfish, and some snails and hermits. A love of the sea and all things in it.

My husband and I went to our local pet store to get a bird. We came home with a 44 gallon pentagon tank, sand, and filter (and no bird) because we thought in the end it would be cheaper. Ha! And then we were hooked. Later we got a bird and ended up giving it to a bird lady who took birds to assisted living homes to visit the residents (my husband couldn't handle the endless squacking) I am glad we ended up with the tanks instead!

I did freshwater tanks for 15+ years starting at about the age of 11 and gave them up due to getting dogs instead. Then my neighbor got a saltwater tank and I figured if he could do it, I could do it better! That was about 3 years ago!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11658296#post11658296 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sara B
I did freshwater tanks for 15+ years starting at about the age of 11 and gave them up due to getting dogs instead. Then my neighbor got a saltwater tank and I figured if he could do it, I could do it better! That was about 3 years ago!

Hows that working out for ya?:eek1:

My dad bought me a fish when I was three, which I kept in a bucket until it jumped out. Got my first fw 30 gal tank on my eighth b-day. Had it for 13 yrs and tried everything. I was told that sw fish are imposable to care for so I stayed away for many years. Two years ago, I was at the Harlem Irving and Plaza mall (HIP) and fell in love with the reef tank at the nail salon. So I decided to take the plunge. Jumped on craigs list and bought my first reef tank. It was love at first sight.

Tosse a ping pong ball into a goldfish bowl while in kindergarten. Had that fish for 6 years in a old peanut butter jar. My grandpa then gave me a 10 gallon tank and everthing to go with it for that goldfish who died from too much swimming space. Evolved from there.

Then I saw a SW set up and was quoted $250 with my tank and I would have a beautiful reef. The wife said is that all go for it!

We have been fighting over it since, funny thing is, she is the one that goes crazay at LFS.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11658529#post11658529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aiko670
Hows that working out for ya?:eek1:

Smart butt!

The original tank is still working out fine ... the issue is the extra added system that's painful! :rolleyes:

FW since I was a little boy, got marry and the wife decides to give me a 75G Oceanic as a birthday gift. Met Menard and the rest is history.

If I had to tell my story at a reefaholic meeting and blame someone for it - will be my wife, Menard and Doug.

The damn Nemo movie. Had fresh water forever got bored with it and gave the ciclids away to a neighbor. As I was cleaning the tank for storage, the wife says we should do a tank with a couple of "nemo's" since the kids love the movie so much. So 2 clowns and a few chunks of live rock turn into 2 reef tanks and the wife won't stop complaining how much time and money I spend messing with my tanks. Love to remind her its all her fault.

Back