What salt do you use?

Just ordered some RC from Dr. Fosters. that code is great.
4 buckets (2 for loosehip) for $141.00 shipped!

Well, I have had a few PM's about the code, and since I don't think it is any secret I will just post it on here. I hope this helps some of you.

The code is AGN-16882 for RC and AGN-16881 for IO It will bring up a big yellow box that says the price is no good, but it is. I just ordered 3 more buckets.

HTH

I've been running IO for years and just switched to TM pro reef.
There is a thread on here somewhere (maybe reef chemistry maybe sps I can't remember) where another member did a thorough test of all major salt mixes and posted the results..........

I finally found out why my magnesium and calcium required so much supplementing. Instant Ocean was the worst!!!! with a mag level of only 1080 @ 1.026 and calcium was only 350+/-

The reef crystals was very high like the Tropic Marin Pro, as were several of the other brands.
If I can find the thread I'll post a link.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14220927#post14220927 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by roadracn
sooooooooo very much misinformation in the hobby....do they make a saltwater aquariums for dummies book...

RoadRacn.........
what exactly do you mean by that?????

and yes they do make a saltwater aquarium for dummies book if you really must know LOL:rollface:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14220927#post14220927 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by roadracn
sooooooooo very much misinformation in the hobby....do they make a saltwater aquariums for dummies book...

??? I think the info on salt is good to know. I am glad someone took the time to test all those.

For the price Coralife salt has good numbers. Oceanic as well. I just feel like i am cheating if i switch:) Actually once the DR.F codes don't work anymore i will probably switch to one of the above

guys, don't misunderstand me, I love the fact that someone took the time to do this. To them I owe a huge thank you. i am talking about the information floating around about our hobby that misleads people because we take it as the truth. I had a couple guys that started me out on a specific train of thought about saltwater aquariums in general, and I always took their word as well as LFS owners over anything else because they were in the hobby longer, or owned a shop. I have been finding out for quite some time now that there is more misinformation coming from LFS's and people that have been in the hobby for 15 years because they refuse to look at any other perspective than that of which they think they know. I understand that this hobby like anything else continues to grow and morph to the next level. I just wish there was a place on here that had all this information at the top so that new guys could see what all we have learned without also flailing like so many have. In that same breath I also love the fact that there are a few LFS that are onto the newer age of information. I just hope that they take this information and use it for good in the hobby and also they have a lot more impact with suppliers of product to get consistency. In this case, with the salt suppliers, if 1 company consistently put out salt that tested with the parameters that we for the most part need without dosing it like crazy to get it to where it needs to be, we would all buy it. Sure we would test it, but would we have to dose it to get it where our aquariums already are? From the salt test, there is no perfect blend, and we as their customers don't ask for anything different. We go to the fish shop and they tell us what to put in, and we listen. We go back with problems (that very well could have been created with the salt they said to use) and then they sell us more chemicals and buffers to add so that we rid ourselves of the problem that our aquariums created. I would be interested to know what the oceans test for at different parts of the world. Say Fiji, Bali, Cozumel, Hawaii and such. Ca PH everything...maybe I will go on a diving sabbatical and test for them all. Think depth makes a difference?

I am frustrated in all of this for the following reason. I had 2 guys (1 from a LFS and 1 that has been on the hobby for years not affiliated with the LFS) tell me to use a specific salt (one of the most expensive), which tested horrible on the list in basically every parameter, and thanks to this very thread, I got sent out to the other thread, and through some searching and what not, I found that there are several people with the exact same issues that I am having and upon changing salts the issue went away. I am not going to say that its solely the salts fault, but had I seen a thread like this I wouldn't have went on their word so easily. I would have done additional research, and found people out there that have had issues with this salt. I am sure if I look hard enough there is fault in every salt. Which leaves me where I am now...not wanting to use the salt that I have, and look for the best balanced brand with the fewest known issues. Any ideas?

Back