What salt do you use?

I don't know if there is any way to guarantee the quality of the salt. I've heard issues with almost all brands. Maybe the only way to get consistency is to make our own salt from the raw materials. I've seen salt recipes but I don't really know if I trust them or not since I haven't tried them.

Well I just ordered 2 buckets of Reef Crystals from the Dr's. Thanks for the code Leif it did work. Because of this thread it caused me to change from I/O to R/C ASAP. I did not even realize how low the mg and calcium were.

To be honest I check all parameters about two hours after a 20% water change monthly. Then I simply add what the tank needs (using the DIY two part mix), then I dose Alk & Ca daily then Mg weekly.

I have found this so simple to do, that I still have a Ca reactor just sitting in my garage.

Well I'm not really sure where you were going with that whole thing roadracn. It sounds like you got some bum info and it could have been avoided.

What I've found to work well for me is research, research, research. If someone tells you something, go home take your time and research it. I don't ever take one persons word as gospel, I will usually read 10's sometimes 100's of threads and articles to come to the conclusion I am comfortable with.

Salt is one of the most important things we use, IMHO I don't think you can go wrong with IO or RC. Like I mentioned earlier, I test and bolster ALL my new water before doing water changes. Each bucket is a little different, so I feel it is important to test every time I make a new batch of salt. I like to keep my params as consistent as possible.

If I missed your point I apologize, but we are all here to learn and help each other, so if you have any questions ask away.

No problem for the code Scott, glad I could help.

Spleify

Spl, that all my rant was about...bum information. It seems that I gotten a lot of that through the years, and it gets frustrating. I even do the research and to no avail. I wish there was a list of proven documentation that could save many people huge headaches...that's all...now back to my sump design, anybody want to see that?

Yeah its definitely frustrating sometimes. I have had some good luck getting straight answers in the Reef Chemistry Forum. Those guys know there stuff.

Yeah post up some pics. in a new thread.

Spleify

A couple of years ago IO put out a bad batch of salt that decimated a few tanks. Right after that is when Oceanic came out, I think they are made by the same company or am I wrong?I cant remember if it was Reef Crystals that we did a group buy on that there was also a big problem with. Some of our members sps were bleaching out after switching to RC.I think Spleify has a good idea to test all new water so stuff like this doesnt happen.I have went through a few different kinds of salt,Tropic Marin,Aquacraft brands,IO, and in the beginning I would just grab whatever was cheapest/on sale. We all know that our water is not perfect but what keeps our tanks thriving is consistency. In my opinion if you stick to what salt works for you and dont jump on a "this is the greatest salt ever" bandwagon you will have greater success.For what it's worth I use IO after saying I would NEVER use it again. I really like Tropic Maric but has anyone ever tried purchasing a bucket locally?Not available most of the time in my area.I run a calcium reactor , kalk drip and keep my magnesium levels up to make up for any deficiencies my salt may have.That doesnt mean I just do water changes and hope my equipment maintains my levels, I have to check and dose if needed.My corals let me know if anything is wrong before then.

Spliefy does that code still work this is what i got when i entered it on the add coupon
We're sorry, but the coupon code you entered has expired or it was not recognized.

It said the same thing to me but it should update the price in the cart. It worked I just got my salt on Wed. and ordered it last Friday.

Any ideas? [/B]

I can understand your frustration, however the best advice in this hobbie is Patience. It is also the best quality that it will impart on the successful hobbiest. There is not any one way that is right and that is the best truth that I can give you. Just because one guy says 8x water turnover is what he does, and another guy says 30x, that does'nt make either of them wrong, nor does any one system or idea guarantee success. As stated above I use Oceanic. It is for my reasons which I factored into my decision.
Here are the factors that I used:
I have a calcium reactor which will maintain levels of calcium and Alk. if running properly. ( I like to get the calcium boost along w
Mag. at water change) Magnesium is in the TOP of my needs because of SPS.
Also it dissolves better than the others IMO
Many reefers have soft corals so they don't need these elevated levels, or they have SPS but no reactor so they can adjust.
Rather than lecture on in this area I will give you what I think is a basic needs list for success.

#1 Patience
#2 Live Rock only -> No lava or other junk
#3 Refugium
#4 Skimmer -> working good
#5 Test your params and adjust as your system needs
#6 Look at your tank and understand everything has a cause and effect. If a new algea or organism grows understand why, rather than nuke it first thing. Otherwise you are missing a critical sign.
#7 Study -> this is all an experiment and in this hobbie we learn from one another, we don't always agree, in fact this is one of the most dis-aggreable groups I have ever met :) but that is because there are many routes to a healthy system. It does'nt mean that your getting stupid advice, it just means that's their oppinion. Everyone here loves (or use to love the hobbie).
#8 Don't over feed.
#9 Patience

Hope this helps your going to find so many ways to do this hobbie, but in the end your success will likely depend on how much you want it. This hobbie is an evolution of personal knowledge. I nor anyone can impart success, to some degree it has to come through personal reflection and study.

Good luck,
J

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14279054#post14279054 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kdblove_99
Spliefy does that code still work this is what i got when i entered it on the add coupon
We're sorry, but the coupon code you entered has expired or it was not recognized.

I did the same thing. You have to paste the code in the search area. Not in the coupon where you check out. It will than come up with the product with the revised price. Let me know if that helps.

Though I do not have a tank set up right now, I like Oceanic salt.
This thread has been done so many times it's funny! Frankenpora hit the nail on the head with his posts above. It does suck when folks get bad advice. It can really take a lot of the enjoyment out of this, or any hobby. Let alone the fact that in this hobby it can cost hundreds of dollars and kill innocent animals due to bad advice, mixed with inexperience. When I started this hobby, I was fortunate to get a ton of advice from some of the old timers in the club, not old by age, but rather names that don't seem to pop up much anymore. 2 of the biggest helps were Nate from Marine Showcase, and Ki from Key's Island/ Great Barrier Reef. They didn't push big dollar items and methods, but rather doing things right the first time using economical items that work. Once I "got my feet wet" the other members of the club were a great source of information. One thing I remembered from past hobbies was to take all information with a grain of salt and find the one that works best for me and my tank. Sorry for going on a semi rant, but the "bad advice" phrase always gets me going. Y'all have a great group of folks in the various clubs in Denver and the way you all work to help each other out is really great.
Bill

Bmb and Frank I like both your posts, what got me going on the rant was misinformation and the second factor is people that will only see things to be 1 way. I chose to go with sea chem reef blend and called around to find some here in Denver. I used seachems page to find the retailers of their product. I called several places. Todds didn't even know what it was, Aquamart had it but was the wrong direction, Ki's said they had it, but was 20% more than aquamart, and few others didn't have it, or didn't know what it was. I chose to go to Kis which is literally 5 minutes from my shop, walked in only to find that it was the marine blend (should have cost less than the reef mix also)...thus being lower in CA and MG than I was looking to have with my reef. When I asked him about the reef mix, he stated that they were the same, and basically walked off. He shrugged off a customer. (not the first time this has happened in that store), I got both of my largest irritations in this hobby in one place. Store didn't know the difference between both salts, argued that there even was a reef blend, then backtracks trying to say that they are the same in order to save a sale. I walked away disgusted,thinking about my rant on here lol. I was able to find the salt (Thanks Rob) and also found a local guy to deal with in getting it in the future, but the thing that gets me going the worst is that he could have learned something had he taken the time to research it on his www connection, and saved face with a customer. Its actions like this that prevent me from feeling bad when they shut the doors. Its more business for places that actually care about the hobby and its best interests; as well as the ability to take in new information and change as our hobby does...back to work for now

Back