what salt

Tropic Marin for my initial setup, TM Pro for water changes and salinity adjustments. I've used IO and Kent. On previous tanks.

Honestly, can't say I've ever noticed a difference.

alright....not trying to jack the thread...but i've been using TM Pro Reef and i have calcium in excess of 500.....should i switch to something else? I dont' supplement anything else at the moment.....

not sure why your calcium is being concentrated but it comes approximately 480 at 1.026 or somewhere close. if you don't have hard corals to use it up you could just use regular tropic marin or anything else you want. the alkalinity is lower than normal in pro reef also so keep an eye on that to keep your ph more stable.

robthorn....thank you very much......in addition to the high calcium with the TM Pro Reef i have noticed the lower alkalinity which i have been forced to buffer......so thank you for your response....i don't have any hard corals.....my tank has shrooms, finger leather, anthelia, xenia, pagoda, and zoos.....so i think after this box i may switch to regular TM and that'll save me alot of money too....thanks for the input

anytime and that sounds like a good choice to me and my preference but I.O. would probably do just as well. I sometimes use a mixture of tropic marin regular and pro to try and balance everything out.

IO and if you go to Petsmart they will match there online price
Synthetic Sea Salt - 160 Gallon Bucket
605393 $31.99

i also us IO and i get it at petsmart for the price listed above.
no problems yet. but due to some bad stories i am sure to test EVERYTHING when i make each batch of new salt water before it goes into the tank

been using oceanic thinking of using instant ocean again. hadnt really had any problems... so i dont know

IMO for reef tanks, if it aint broke don't try to fix it. Why risk the possiblity of upsetting your tank?

If Oceanic is working, I would stick with it.

Just my 2 cents.

PS - I use IO and have had great luck with it.

Chris

I agree with chris on the swapping over deal. if you only have fish and or soft corals it's not as big of a deal but with hard corals you are taking a chance as I have lost well over $500 in coral within 1 week of changing salt brands. if it was todays prices it would be alot more. the salt I switched to has not been mentioned here so no need.

Back