What shrimp is more beneficial to the tank blood red or skunk cleaner?

John Hartford

I hear that both are cleaners, but I think that the Scarlet Skunk is more of a cleaner and is more beneficial, do you agree?

Skunks definetely do way more cleaning. My blood red's are slackers, never seen them clean a fish yet. But blood red's look way cooler.

Blood red shrimp will not be as active in the daylight hours. Both can become potential problems with corals, although not too often. For color, Lysmata debelius. For activity/cleaning, Lysmata amboinensis.

I would go with the cleaner shrimps. My 2 blood shrimps are completely cave potatoes (lazy) ... all they do is rest all day so that they can go hog wild at the evening feeding time.

Our blood shrimp stole food from our GBTA. It apparently did enough damage that even though we removed the shrimp, the anemone still died.

i vote for Scarlet Skunk! i have both of them (in separte tanks) and the blood shrimp ONLY hides! The blood shrimp is a cool looking shrimp but if it never comes out, its kinda pointless.

I say the skunks do most of the cleaning, while the fires hang around. I have 2 of both in my tank. The skunks are very active during the day, while the fires hide. I am a fan of both so I house both. Occasionally I will cacth all 4 hanging out together in daylight hours but its rare.

I havent had any problems with any of my shrimp(10) and coral. Whenever I feed my anemones I will feed the shrimp first. Also If any of my shrimp tried taking food from my anemones, they would then become food.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6917688#post6917688 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amphiprion
Both can become potential problems with corals, although not too often. .

How is that? Just being curious.

Stealing food from LPS in particular and causing the corals to retract as they as constantly travel across them.....would be my guess.

I have not had 1 die, but to spot feed larger LPS such as brains, you must stand guard or the shrimp will steal the meal.

Back