What size return pump?

Pete1399

I am setting up a 75g reef tank with a 30g sump/fuge. There will be about 4.5 feet of pipe between the return and the tank. What size pump do I need for return? What is the best kind of pump for the money? Thank you in advance!

What GPH is the overflow? Is it reef ready? How many 90's in return pipping if hard pipping? What are your coral stocking plans or is it a FOWLR?

Sorry... I am a newbie with my only experience coming from what I have read. I obviously do not now exact specifics but I have a pretty good idea:

4- 90s(PVC)
Soft corals at first, eventually I would like a good selection of lower light corals.
As for the overflow I am not sure. I plan on an overflow with a Durso stand pipe. I do not know if this helps some...
Sorry I do not have specifics here, but I am trying to plan out my tank and its inhabitants before diving blindly into this hobby.

Is the tank a reef ready tank (holes predrilled in the bottom) or are you going to be using a hang on tank overflow?

Ok with 4.5 feet of head 4 elbows 2 unions (before and after pump) and two ball valves (before and after pump) a Quiet One 6000 will give you roughly 900 gph. Or a 12x per hour tank turn over rate. This pump can be used inside or outside the sump as well. Here is a link.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=RB3123

Hope this helps you.

P.S. One the main page of RC there is a head loss calculator that has many different pumps alredy plugged into it. Figure out your plumbing needs ie: ball valves, unions, elbows, head height and plug the numbers in. This way you can just scroll through the pumps until you find one that fits your needs. Then all you have to do is find the pump. A good rule of thumb (god I hate those) is anywhere from 5 to 20x turn over rate. (GPH divided by tank size equals turnover rate). In some tanks with SPS I have seen up to 40x turnover but that is kind of on the extreme end of things.

You should have 3 - 5x display volume after head loss for a return pump. That is 225 - 375 GPH
Id use a Mag5 or 7 for that setup, with the 7 being on the high end if you have a lot of head loss.

Back