what the h***

So Cal shaggy

this evening (actually right now) after lights out I went over take a peak at my tank and noticed that the water was quite cloudy and that there were small pieces of debris in the water I was looking everywhere for the reason but could not find anything then all of a sudden I see this big glob of what looked like snot float away from my hammer coral :eek: I then realized that my hammer corals were spawning :cool: now my question is should I do a water change? This is the first time I have ever had this happen in my tank so I do not know if the extra bio material will foul the water.

Thanks,

If your coral and filter feeding load is high, they will have a grand time feeding tonight. Whether or not your bioload can handle it really depends on the spawning event and your tank.

Unless the coral is newly stressed for some reason or your tank parameters just had a sudden swing, this is very good news and congrats! Euphyllia don't spawn in captivity that often.

If you will be around during the day tomorrow, you may just want to monitor the tank. If not, if you have aged and heated salt water ready, it wouldn't hurt to do a change. Maybe if you re a night owl, wait a few hours to give everything that wants to eat a chance.

spawning hammer

spawning hammer

I may not have studied corals while in school I did study anemones so I know the difference between pooping and spawning as requested here are some pics of the spawning event from my hammer coral this evening enjoy.

here you can see the eggs just coming out of the mouth

shaggyman

here you can see a few eggs that just came out and are stuck on the mucus of the coral

shaggyman

I hope these images work I am still learning how to include pics with my messages

Be careful.

I had a bubble that we beleived spawned in my tank. Because of the spawning, the oxygen content of the water was real low and as such, crashed the tank as well as sufocaited the fish. I lost them all, including a 5+ year old maroon clown. Skimmer also went crazy.

May want to do a water change. ;)

Good luck.

Yep,

definatley spawning. Congrats.

I had either my hammer or frogspawn spawn once but at the time I didnt know what was going on. I just saw a bunch of eggs being released and I just thought it was sick.

You place it inside image tags. Photobucket will actually make the tags for you, and that can show you the exact syntax. Just copy and paste the link next to where it says "IMG."

Guess you need to start calling your hammer a "she." ;) How's the tank today?

Thank you, today the tank is fine after about an hour last night the water was beginning to get back to clear up I did a water change this morning just to be on the safe side though. I wonder if my feeding the fish garlic laced food for the first time last night had anything to do with the spawn.

Back