What to bring to a frag swap

ReefsandGeeks

I'm going to my first swag swap since I first got into the hobby.

The swap is an hour away from my home, and I may end up being there for a couple of hours.

1) Whats the best way to keep the frags I buy happy and healthy while I continue to shop and on the way home? I could potentially have some frags for 4 hours or so between the time I buy it and the time I get home to acclimate/dip it.

My plan was to bring one of those flexible cooler bags. Would that be enough? Should I put a heat pack in the cooler to help with temp?

2) When I get home, I plan to float the frags in my aquarium for 15-30 minutes while I prepare some buckets for dipping in Bayer. After dipping in bayer, move the coral to another bucket of clean tank water and inspect for issues. If all clear, one final swish in a third bucket of tank water before adding to the bottom of my tank to begin light acclimation. Does that sound like a reasonable plan, or am I missing anything important?

I actually haven't bought any coral in a few years, just been growing out my existing coral. So it's been a while since I've done this myself.

thanks for any re-assurment or advice! I want to avoid any issues with getting my new coral home and healthy.

You should be good, my main focus is always temperature so as long as you can keep them stable you should be fine. A lot of times the sellers will let you keep the frags with them until you are done shopping which definitely helps with stress and temp fluctuations.. It all depends on the seller I suppose but seems common every time I go to a swap

I use a small igloo cooler so I don't have to worry about them being squished. I wouldn't worry about heat packs unless it's really cold. They'll be just fine. Otherwise your plan sounds good.

*edit*

I take a stack of Andrew Jacksons as well!

last swap i went to was the previous PMASI one. IIRC it was in november. quite chilly outside.

i brought a couple old styrofoam coolers, and just put the bags in there as i was getting things. they last just fine out in the car for an hour or two, then the 45 min ride home.

so i'd roll with exactly what you described in your original post. with the weather this weekend, i wouldn't personally be concerned about using hot packs, it should be fairly warm.

I brought nothing more than an igloo cooler to my last swap in march, made it 4 hours at the swap and an hour drive home with no heat packs.

A cooler is definitely a great way to keep your temperature on point.

Y'all are forgetting the most important thing to bring to a frag swap: lots of cash! Haha

Back