What treats what disease? The short course.

I have a 7 year old purple tang nthat has suddenly stopped eating. I have tried several different foods including live brine but to no avail. Can someone tell me what might be wrong.

someone plz help me......I just purchased a yellow tang on yesterday....i noticed today one of his eyes are puffy and white (cloudy like)...the other eye is normal.....I also noticed later tonight both sides of the tang has a white line going donw the side of its body. I really new at this so plz help me......I have a 30 gallon tank about a month old.....i purchased 1 blue damsel and 1 blk/wht damsel about two weeks ago....the tank has cycled.....I now have a clean-up crew due to the algae and 1 small polyp coral...live sand and rock........Please let me know what i need to do the save my tang...if that's possible.....

thanks

Donna:headwalls:

Set up a hospital tank that you can treat with medications. Bare bottom tank highly recommended. The the white lines sound like HLLE but not sure because you don't have pictures. Feed frozen foods dosed in vitamins.... Brine and mysis soaked in garlic, selcon, and vita chem this will help with HLLE and also the immune system of the fish. I would do that and with a hospital tank you can treat with medications, otherwise I'm afraid your tang is a goner. Just a FYI less is more when it comes to saltwater for a 30g tank 2 small fish that don't get over 3 inches would be the max you should have. The smallest of tangs should be in a 6ft long 100g minimum tank

I have 2 Yellow tangs that I just noticed their fins and tails are frayed. Could this be fin rot or could my Blue Devil Damsel be getting nippy with them. They have all been together for about 6 months now with no problems. Help

Deceased Clown

Deceased Clown

I have a mystery that I just can't figure out. I have a well established tank and my parameters are spot on. I have an existing percula in the tank and decided I would like to pair it up so I added another clown. The clown acclimated and seemed healthy for a couple of weeks then it became lethargic and began trailing a long string of white feces. A day later the clown was not eating and sluggish but its respiratory rate seem okay. I decided to wait another day before I moved it to the hosp tank. The next day the fish was back to normal, eating and swimming around. About two weeks later the same thing occurred only this time the fish disappeared on the third day. I did notice that the fish had what looked like a nick or sore spot under its gills. This same thing happened again. Only this time the estasblished clown died and the new clown survived. When I bought my rock I trapped out 6 mantis shrimp but I have not noticed any signs of them since. I have noticed a couple of fuzzy small crabs about the size of a nickel that seem to come out at night. My gobie and tang are fine. Is it possble that something is wounding the fish and they are dieing from stress and infection ?

Anyone have a good formalin brand to purchase? I've read you should have 37-40% formaldahyde to treat sick fish, any thoughts? Thanks.

When do you use tetracycline or bifuran? They are both bacterial treatments but is one better then another for any certian symptoms?

I have 2 Yellow tangs that I just noticed their fins and tails are frayed. Could this be fin rot or could my Blue Devil Damsel be getting nippy with them. They have all been together for about 6 months now with no problems. Help

Usually it is because there are only 2.

I recently saw this product Dr. Gs Anti-bacterial frozen food and Anti-parastic frozen food at a local fish store around orlando. Has anyone tried these foods and had any luck, luckly i dont need it but i was thinking as a preventative measure to mix a little of each in with my regular food like 2x a week.

I recently saw this product Dr. Gs Anti-bacterial frozen food and Anti-parastic frozen food at a local fish store around orlando. Has anyone tried these foods and had any luck, luckly i dont need it but i was thinking as a preventative measure to mix a little of each in with my regular food like 2x a week.

I guess if you suspect your fish aren't 100% healthy .... why not.

I have a mystery that I just can't figure out. I have a well established tank and my parameters are spot on. I have an existing percula in the tank and decided I would like to pair it up so I added another clown. The clown acclimated and seemed healthy for a couple of weeks then it became lethargic and began trailing a long string of white feces. A day later the clown was not eating and sluggish but its respiratory rate seem okay. I decided to wait another day before I moved it to the hosp tank. The next day the fish was back to normal, eating and swimming around. About two weeks later the same thing occurred only this time the fish disappeared on the third day. I did notice that the fish had what looked like a nick or sore spot under its gills. This same thing happened again. Only this time the estasblished clown died and the new clown survived. When I bought my rock I trapped out 6 mantis shrimp but I have not noticed any signs of them since. I have noticed a couple of fuzzy small crabs about the size of a nickel that seem to come out at night. My gobie and tang are fine. Is it possble that something is wounding the fish and they are dieing from stress and infection ?

not sure about those crabs hurting fish. but they sound like one i had hitchhike in on some rock. it was fine for the longest time, then started decimating my corals, i mean clearing out a frag plug a night. finally caught him in the act and removed him after having to break down all the rock. so id start trying to trap them now

Chromis semms to be rottening, PLEASE HELP!!!

Chromis semms to be rottening, PLEASE HELP!!!

I have a nuvo 8 tank that it's being cycling for about 2 weeks. My params are Amonia: less than .25 ppm (API color closer to yellow (0) than green(.25)). Nitrites:0, Nitrates: 20. Ph: 7.8 Salinity: 1.025, Temp: 79.

My wife has been nagging that she wanted to see some fish. My LFS so called "expert" suggested in front of my wife that I could already place a few bule/green chromis in my tank. Against my better judgement I decided to purchase 3 very small chromis (less than 1"). One did not acclimated well, then the 2nd died on day 2 and the third one looks like this....check pics. I know I should have not place them yet in my tanks but I want to learn from my mistake. Please check the pics and let me know what is going on with the fish. Should I sacrifice him so it doesn't suffer or can I help him recover? Please HELP!

I have a percula clown for the last 9 years I put another clown in the tank for a couple of hours and then switched him out that fish died the next day. My clown is now dull in color not eating and breathing fast, he is now swimming right in front of the return I will post a video when my son wakes up, non of the other fish at this time seem infected.
Could this be flukes or something else?

Uronema

Uronema

I think a disease you left is Uronema....My Kole Tang had Uronema marinum, a ciliate parasite similar to Brooklynella. I treated with Flagyl (Metronidazole) and it cleared it right up. I did this in a quarantine tank.

New to this forum but not the hobby, did you try this food? If so what dis you think?

Btw, great write up!

Bad disease

Bad disease

I have 2 disease issues that i'm battling in a 125 g. display with really good chemistry and with 5 fish, the largest being a 4" Purple tang:

1) I have lost 3 swallowtail angels in 4 weeks. I bought a pair that looked to be in perfect health. First fish developed horribly severe pop eye right after getting her home. Despite quarantine and multiple antibiotic courses, she died. Bought a replacement from DD because I thought that the popeye in the first fish may have been from tauma related to the bagging. Then my second fish developed what I thought was lymphcystis. Appeared to be improving but fish died. The third fish from DD then developed ich and died within days. What an absolute total bummer both for the fish, my ego, and my wallet!

Last year, my display tank developed ich (about 8 months ago0 and all my fish perished despite quarantine and copper. I left the tank fallow for 3 full months. Ich still seems to be present even though all 5 fish currently in tank are fine, or ich is suppressed within them.

If a 3 month fallow period did not rid tank of ich, what will? I am petrified to get any more fish.

Please forgive my stupidness. I am a newbie to the fish world. I need help!!!! Bought an established tank(3 +years) from someone with live rock and coral. Previous owner gave me ANti-Ich meds, AmQuel Plus, and Garlic. About a week ago purchased 2 farm raised clownfish and 2 damsel, they are all doing great. This weekend bought a yellow tang, two days later it died. On Monday bought a blue tang put in a separate bare tank (which I also just bought)now it has white spots. I know from reading that it has ich, has spots, rapid breathing, color loss, no appetite. I need help on what to do. I'm reading all these post and have no clue what some of the terminology means. Can someone please explain what I need to do in (DUMMIES) terms so that I can try to save my tang? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Coral Beauty who I have had for about 3 days now and I just noticed he is breathing very heavily. He is very active and swims around grazing on algae. All of my other fish are peaceful (2 cardinals, 1 clown goby, 1 lawnmower blenny) but he just seems (to me) to be breathing rather quickly for an entirely healthy fish. It is a 20 gallon tank that has been set up for just over two months now. I completely cycled it before adding any fish via a decaying matter method, so it has been cycled for about two months now as well. It has a Fluval 405 Canister Filter on it with ceramic rings, carbon, and lots of filter floss. I work at an LFS and I know angels can be rather sensitive so I just want to be sure he isn't going to drop dead on me one night. He has really made my aquarium a sight to behold with his presence. :)

Back