What was your very first Fish?? If you can remember ....

First FW fish was a goldfish, won at a church "ping-pong ball toss." I always wondered if the church got them for free from the store, for all of the goldfish bowls that had to be emergently bought when the kids got home...

First saltwater fish was a yellow-tail damsel way back when we used them to cycle the tank. They actually were pretty good citizens, but it was a FOWLR, and his tank mates were much larger.

First freshwater fish was a Fancy Guppy and some females. Breaded the crap out of them.
First saltwater fish was a pair of Maroon clowns I got over 2 years ago and are still happy as could be.

Red bellied piranha... would have been about 1982.

1st marine aquarium was about 1988, started with a couple blue damsels to cycle the tank (yeah, we used to use cheap fish to cycle... cruel, but I didn't know any better). Once cycled, I added a black voiltan Lionfish. Made quick work of the damsels.

As I recall, that was a 29g tank, with crushed coral over an under-gravel filter plate. I eventually added a skimmer, ran off of a wooden air diffuser. Man, how things have changed.

Fire-belly newts in 1979. I know, not fish, but they started the whole "let's put an animal in a tank with water and try to keep it alive" thing. First FW fish would be Oscars back in '81 or '82. First SW would be a Convict Damsel in 1985, I hated that fish.

My first freshwater fish was Oscar I bought in the 4th grade from a friend. Always loved feeding him gold fish.

My first saltwater fish was a powder blue tang named Rutherford. He was the star of my tank, loved that guy. I was a noob and bought a 60 tang as my first fish, not my smartest idea. He did live for a long time however.

Back