What was your very first Fish?? If you can remember ....

my first freshwater fish was a goldfish that lasted about about two weeks in 1984. i was crushed when it died. i had a funeral and everything. please keep in mind i was 3 years old : )

first saltwater was my perc clown that died a few days ago, you may have seen the thread. : ( i felt about the same way as when i lost the goldfish. no funeral this time, however. just a salute as it went 'round and 'round.

A 3 stripe Humbug Damsel, and the turd lived to be 13 years old ! What a PITA, he bit and hammered the heck out of me every time I reached into the tank. The next one was a Tomato Clown and he was just as pugnacious. He was still alive 12 years later when I sold the system to John at AZ Coral Co in Yuma about 4 years ago.

SW - Yellow Tail Damsel.

Lots of people with damsels as their first fish.... To all those people what was there fate?

Mine? It started beating the hell out of the other fish, I put him in a 2 gallon (or so) tank :( that was its demise. I felt bad but I couldn't have him killing all the new additions.

...and i though a $4 fish was a good starter.....

FW- a deformed male beta..saved him from being flushed b/c he ate my aunt's guppies...had him for 5 years and cried when he died.

SW- Blue Damsel...I had them about a year until my youngest daughter dropped a handful of pennies into the tank and killed everything before I got home from work...it took her almost 8 years before I let her touch the tank again, now she "owns" almost as many of the corals in there as I do. Lol.

Freshwater was neon tetras. Saltwater was royal gramma. I love how adapted the royal gramma is to the reef - they can start and stop swimming on the edge of a dime and they swim in any and every direction. I think royal grammas would be great fighter pilots and Descent players.

1st fresh water was a trio of tiger barbs...oh what horrid little fish lol.

1st salt fishy was a perc that i got off a guy in a trade

Blue Damsel. Cycled tank with it, back when I "really" didnt know any better. Eaten by my Mexican Dragon Eel.

RIP

My father was the Pastor of Bible Baptist Church in Huntington Park CA. I ended up with all of the survivors from the ping pong ball toss at the church carnival. I was 6 years old, I'm 31 now.
SW would be a false perc.

First was a yellow tail damsel--still have him! He cycled my tank (yes I know there are better options, I just did what someone told me to do) He is still doing great, and spunky as ever!!:D

sweet didn't realize this do this well almost everyone has thrown they first timers in there.

My first Fresh water fish was a trio of Albino Cory Cats. I love the cats and have always had them for the past 15 years. Had my Redtailed Cat named "tiny" for 6 years before I had to move out here he was 1.9 feet long and 15 pounds when I released him.

Keep up the thread I like to read about peoples things like this.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11001182#post11001182 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvilE
First was a yellow tail damsel--still have him! He cycled my tank (yes I know there are better options, I just did what someone told me to do) He is still doing great, and spunky as ever!!:D

The pair of yellow tails I have were terrors had to put them in time out in a freshwater breeding trap for 2 weeks. then they calmed down and behaved after that. the one still attacks when when I go to move my Digi's as they are right next to the his little cave he lives in. But attacking me is better then other fish they used to tag team my Roayl Gramma

About 50 years ago :D A little minow I caught in a creek close to home. He died after the water in the bottle I kept him in fouled due to overfeeding of saltine crackers crumps :sad1:

Last edited:
Oh, I thought this was first SW fish..... my first fish period was a goldfish way back when.......

My first fish grew legs and hopped out of the bucket in the backyard. It was a tadpole!

Grew up next to the Arizona Canal in central Phx and my brother and I used to catch tadpoles and keep them in a bucket in our backyard.

If that doesn't count; then it's going to be Fred, my first goldfish!

Back