What's this weird critter

CoralsAddiction

Hi,
I noticed today this weird critter releasing substance from it's mouth.
The critter itself is on the bottom of the screen while the released substance is more visible over my soft coral colony.

Thanks in advance
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uLW_IhTvkRk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Okay, I watched the video twice and didn't see anything.

Kevin

Okay, I watched the video twice and didn't see anything.

Kevin

Thanks for looking.
Here's a still image.
JlxFtLV.jpg

Ah, that looks like a black stomatella snail. A good hitchhiker that can reproduce in our tanks (provided you don't have cleaner shrimp - cleaners seem to like snail on the half-shell!). You can Google for stomatella pics.

Kevin

Oh, and it's difficult to tell without knowing your water flow, but the snail looks like it was emitting sperm or eggs. With a higher water flow, the "smoke" can be dispersed more quickly, making it hard to tell.

Kevin

Ah, that looks like a black stomatella snail. A good hitchhiker that can reproduce in our tanks (provided you don't have cleaner shrimp - cleaners seem to like snail on the half-shell!). You can Google for stomatella pics.

Kevin

Oh, and it's difficult to tell without knowing your water flow, but the snail looks like it was emitting sperm or eggs. With a higher water flow, the "smoke" can be dispersed more quickly, making it hard to tell.

Kevin

Thanks,
First time I've ever seen anything like this. Nothing appeared to be harmed while this was happening.

I've had a few black Stomatella in my tanks recently. The color seems to be just a genetic anomaly or a form of environmental adaptation as they must have been offspring from my regular colored Stomatella.

Only some of it. A good number will likely develop into little Stomatellas. But I found that they don't do too well in tanks with hermit crabs or Lysmata shrimp.

Back