What's up with some people?

I think one of the reasons, is newbies can't search.

And why should they, with the fact that they dont know whats on this board. Would you pay for something if you werent sure it wasnt just going to be wasted money?

When I went to the Army they called me all kinds of things and the word recruit did not have many positive meanings either. When I finished basic I was a proud commie killing machine.

So listen up newbie maggot and get this straight. Until you've went through your first diatom bloom you ain't nuthin. Now drop and give me 20!

Seriously, I have seen much more malice directed at people by know-it-alls who disagree with know-it-alls choices. Newbies only seem to get attacked when they argue with advice, don't listen, or ask for shortcuts after being told the right way. However someone wishes to do anything is up to them, its their money and time, just wish they would quit asking for endorsments for bad practices.

Mike

PS When someone is a jerk, that's a reflection on them, not RC. I can't speak to why they are like they are. And on bad days or days of elevated frustration maybe I'm one of them. Sorry

:lol: :lol: :lol:

die_n00b.jpg

I think most people are happy and willing to help newcomers to the hobby. But, it is the responsible of new members to read the stickies and learn the posting rules. Nobody like those threads that say, "I have this green coral that doesn't look good anymore, what's wrong with it?".

great statement you saved me the trouble writing it people like that steer new hobbiest away from a great hobby and it is to bad

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6925540#post6925540 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reverendmaynard
I would think the big grinning smilie face would give it away. Maybe I'm just more observant than others. :rolleyes:

I've never seen the behavior you're referring to on this board. Can you even point to a real example of someone actually calling another specific poster a "dumb newbie" or anything like that?

How about worse? But the mods took care of it

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=808869

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7053793#post7053793 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iCam
Nobody like those threads that say, "I have this green coral that doesn't look good anymore, what's wrong with it?".

What?!? Have you been looking in my tank? :lol:

Folks, in order to post on the internet you need two things: an internet connection, and a thick skin. The mods and staff here walk a fine line between censorship and freedom of expression. We try very hard to keep things "nice," as well as relatively commercial and spam free. Most times we're pretty successful (doubt this - try visiting other sites).

One thing though, you can rest assured that EVERY TIME we take action, there are folks who disagree. Some do so very vocally - often with a misunderstanding of the 1st Amendment, as well as a rather poor understanding of both the Communist and Fascist political belief system (IOW, we get called names a lot :D ).

Even so, does RC "scare" some people away? No doubt. Both of the "I'm a timid newbie," and the "I can say anything I want to and you have to let me" variety. If we're lucky, it's more of the latter rather than the former. We try to make it that way, but it does take some "stiff upper lip" from the newbies of the world too. We work to make this site both family friendly and friendly, but disagreements aren't always friendly, and the last thing we want is to have a bland, one-size-fits-all site. And since no two people have the same tolerance for anything (be it internet snobbery, bullying, or poor spelling and grammar), even the most innocuous of threads will leave someone offended (or at least mildly annoyed :D ).

Hey, it's the internet, sometimes you have to enter at your own risk. Good luck, and may the Force be with you. :strooper:

Kevin

I am new and only felt dumb before I started posting and reading here. :)

Waterkeeper is sarcastic but it is not meant to be condesending, it is meant to be humorous. I appreciate the time he takes to educate a dumb newbie such as myself..... :lol:

Well, I've taken this thread to heart and have decided to leave RC for other interests. I'm sorry for all the sadness that I have caused and do hope you will forgive me. I think part of this comes with my never ending struggle with alcohol but I'm not sure. You can reach me as AntKeeper on the Ant Farm Forum.

Good luck there Tom.

And please send me a large box of ants...my farm is running thin.

Back