When are eunicids a fish danger?

techreef

Premium Member
I have probably 5-10 of these worms in my tank, ranging from maybe 3" (visible length of body, not entire worm) down to thinner than a toothpick. While gross, they are kinda cool to watch creep out of their hole or shell tunnel and snatch food, then snap back into their burrow. They are lightning-fast when they retract. But this will only amuse me if they never start snatching fish. I've seen some close up pics of eunicid worms' jaws, and they're no joke. Is there some size threshold that I should start to worry about removing them to my sump in order to prevent fish murders? Thanks!

I've heard nothing but bad things about these worms & took my tank apart to get rid of two of them...both over 8 inches. I was also wondering about what size they need to be before they started picking off fish, but decided to removed them anyway.

ugh. i'm not dismantling a 90G tank w/ 230lbs of LR in it to get these guys. not happening. i guess the next step is to try and build a trap, but i'm gonna catch everything but the eunicids, i know it.

pretty positive. they have the five 'antennae' on their head and retract into their holes like lightning.

When we had our 180 up ,had to remove most of our liverock and coral to get it out. The thing was HUGE 6' long it could pick up a clam and pull it up rocks, not to mention the zoos, snails and other stuff it clean out. It lived in the center of the tank and would eat from either end of the tank with out leaving it's lair.
I would suggest you get it out now. Even if you have to tank all your rock out.

you've got to be kidding me. this is just great. WTH did i buy TBS rock for if all it brings is PITA hitchhikers like this???

It's pretty hard to get them to come totally out from their burrow. Mine was in a nano tank and any trap I put in the tank was close enough that he just streched out and yanked the trap closer. It was a 2.5 gallon and home to a cleaner wrasse for almost a month, the worm was at least eight inches and didn't eat it. I had to remove the rock and shoot fresh water in the holes until he ran out. Find what rock they live in and remove the rock if you can't trap them.

Back