when buying an RO system..........

jacksonsmom25

Im getting my first RO system for christmas and was wondering if theres anything I need to buy with it, accessories or parts that I will need to hook it to my faucet, anything that doesn't come with it?
this is the model Im thinking im gonna get
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12093&N=2004+113775

or is there a different one I should be looking into?
I don't want to go much over the 100dollar price. And I only have a 30g tank, so GPD isn't really an issue.
any opinions are welcome.

thanks
megan

I really like The Filter Guys; customer service after the sale = priceless. By what you are saying you need you should check this one out for $130.00 - OCEAN WAVE FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI (you'll get more for your money) at www.thefilterguys.biz

Cheers!

I agree with Laverna. The Filter Guys are great and the service is exceptional. Good product for the money....

Buy one for your sink with a storage tank and faucet
For example
http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-SAFE-100GP...3189118QQihZ005QQcategoryZ20684QQcmdZViewItem

If you have well water this gives you good water to use in your aquarium or to make a good cup of coffee. Mine stores about
2 1/2 gallons of RO water so I do not have to wait for top off water.
It also is a good source of purified drinking water. Mine does not
have the DI. 95-99% purification is okay and I do not like the
idea of DI and drinking water.
The filter automatically shuts off when the tank is full. This
is done with a pressure switch that works with no power.
After spilling water on the floor many times when I left the
RO running I really like the auto shutoff feature. You can
also connect directly to the sump with an auto shutoff
system but lose drinking water capability.

That is exactly what I was looking for, but never came across.
If it has 100GPD, do I have to crank out that much water? or do I have to store it or could I just use the storage tank.
Sorry if I sound stupid, but Ive never used one of these before:)

With a storage tank the RO only has water running through it
to fill the tank. When the tank is full it stops running. A 100 gpd
will run about hour to fill up the tank and stop. After the tank is full
it only uses the RO to refill the tank after you use some RO water.
As the tank gets full the back pressure from the tank causes the
a switch on the RO unit to shut it off. If you disconnect the tank,
It will work just like the RO system at Foster and Smith

that sounds great.
do you have personal experiance with this specific product?
someone on the beginner board, someone said stay away from the Ebay units...not really telling me specifically which one. but also told me to spend allot more money, which I can't really do. So this product sounds good to me.

I have had one for over a year under my sink. It works great.
I had to go to home depot for the water tap because the
"NEEDLE PIERCING VALVE FOR FEEDWATER" does not work well
on plastic. Here is a picture of my setup. I use mine for making ice,
adding water to my humidifier, coffee, drinking water and the aquarium. I have a 2 gallon container that fits under the faucet.
Because of the low pressure from my well my tank only holds 2 1/2
gallons. This not an issue just something you should know. It actually is just enough to fill the container before it slows done to the regular RO rate. Another advantage of the tank is it take less than 5 minutes to get 2 1/2 gallons although you have to wait and 1 hour for it to recharge. I had another RO system and I would always forget because it was 2- 3 gallons per hour and you wait so you start doing something else and you notice water on the floor.
I prefer filling up a container every hour if I need more water.

24612ro1.jpg

Getting water for my aquarium

24612ro2.jpg

Aquasafe has a 99.9% rating. One out of a thousand people
complained. That is a good rating.
Feedback score: 7542|Positive feedback: 99.9%

I tested mine today with a conductivity meter and it is still
removing over 95% of ions.

Perfect! Just what I needed to hear. I really appreciate the pictures too!
It comes in handy when It comes to my husband, hes the one whos going to need to help me hook it up and such:)

Wow, good info! I use the KATI/ANI I got from Kevinnap... I don't think it has a US distributer anymore (Aquatechnic)...
:D
Laurie

I heard the Kati/ani was pretty expensive thou..but.does a good job.

with some convincing from the hubby, we went with the filter guys...the one Sissy recommended...the ocean wave 5 stage ro/di system. Couldn't beat the price with the DI included:) Im happy

I've been really happy with AirWaterIce, 5 stage unit @ 75gpd. Came with all the needed bells and whistles, a fast flush valve, a pressure gauage and a TDS meter. Plus, value for RO only, a float switch, 30 to 40 ft of plumbing line, a sink adapter and a pipe piercing adapter. Everything for $200.

Stupid question --- Can a RO system be used for everyday use besides filling a fishtank? the water my town is bad (taste)
Thanks
Chris D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8669167#post8669167 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chris dahlen
Stupid question --- Can a RO system be used for everyday use besides filling a fishtank? the water my town is bad (taste)
Thanks
Chris D
If it's an RO only, sure. If it's RO/DI, then I would stick to tap water, it'd be like drinking distilled water. Sometimes you can put a value on your unit that allows RO only.

If you have low pressure (or a well) I highly recommend a booster pump. At 35psi from my well, it takes over an hour to make a gallon of RO/DI water. With my booster pump, the prussure is raised to 100psi, and it takes 15 minutes tops. I have a 5 stage, dual-DI system, 100gpd.

I ran an RO/DI without a booster pump for over 7 years. Now I couldn't imagine going back. Especially now that I'm on a well.

Not necessary to start, but a great upgrade down the road.

To start, I'd recommend a flush kit, and some extra sediment and carbon cartridges..

-rob

Back