When things get hot... when is it too HOT?

So... my AC compressor kicked the bucket last week and I was without AC for two days! Yes... my house got hot quickly... round 87*!!!

As you would assume my tank's temp went up to 85+ and I started to freak cuz my apex was messaging me every hour. I was putting ice packs in my sump to lower the temp but it only knocked it down a few degrees for a few hours. I had fans running all over the house as well. Thankfully my AC was up and running within 48 hours and nothing happened to the tank.

This got me thinking... how high can the temperature go that it ok in the short term. Say 5-7 days in the case of a hurricane and we lose power?

I have a generator that I plan to sun essentials for the tank... should this also include a chiller if temp gets too high? Thoughts? What do you guys do?

I had no A/C during after Wilma for more than 2 weeks and everything was fine. I only ran my generator 8 hours a day. When I got power back I did a water change with store made water and lost almost everything. The store owner didn't take into account the extra chlorine that the cities were adding to the water supply and the ro unit couldn't keep up evidently..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I think GEN and chiller are a great idea. It all depends what you willing to risk. Wilma for 2 weeks without power seems pretty bad. Thankful I had gen and chiller so tank really didn't see much of a change. If you get a chiller get one oversized because are rated by temp differential. So if it's 90 inside your house you need 10 degree DT minimum for your size tank. It's a lot easier to keep water at 77 when it's 78-80 in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This happened to me recently was out of town and my AC tripped and tank got to 84 degrees! Needless to say acros don't like this do I lost a couple colonies and am still seeing the effects weeks later. Generator and chiller is probably the safest but fans can slsotoba great job of keeping temps down as well. Fish and non SPS corals seem to handle the blip no problem.

Back