where does the zooplankton come from?

yraveh

I read in multiple threads ehere experienced reefer stated that copepods and amphipods will eventually fill the tank.
where would they come from, if we use salt (as opposed to ocean water) and TTM all our fish, and thoroughly wash non fish purchases??

so if I used dry rock and sand plus microbacter 7 for seeding favorable bacteria, should I buy pods, or the corals would be enough? I intend to dip in bayer solution all non fish purchases

If your not planning on having a specialized feeder such as a Mandarin then you might as well throw the pods out the window. Don't get wrong, they're cool and all, but they really don't serve any other purpose than food. (they're just there) Don't OVERthink these fascinating creatures. Sufficient lighting is your best friend.

Last edited:
I started my pod population by using Reef Bugs. My tank is so populated right now. I believe they do serve a purpose as a food source for the shrimp and fish.

Yes if your creating a sterile environment dry rock, dipping everything
then you won't have pods you need to seed the tank with a batch of pods and they breed in your tank
Pods are good for many things besides for fish food they are part of the cleanup crew
And i feel all fish are there to look at i have a mandarin and i cant get enough of him their truly are beautiful

Back