Which Carribean Resort?

Canadaguy

Looking for a Carribean resort with excellent snorkelling right off or near the resorts beach. Any suggestions?

I have only been to riviara maya so my opinion is limited.
At the Cancun Club Med you can swim out to the reef that that the boats take people to, and it is a nice little reef with a wreck. I have also stayed at the Now Jade and Now sapphire in puerto morelos but you need to take a 15 min boat ride either north or south to get to a reef.

I have been to Cozumel, Roatan, and Bonaire to dive. Of the 3 I would pick Bonaire (my wife would pick Roatan) for snorkeling as the reefs pretty much start at the shore. Most of the diving is also done from shore because of this. However Roatan has very shallow reefs that are not to far off shore and the island is nicer IMO. We stayed at: Bonaire, Plaza resort. And in Roatan Anthony's key. Either would be fantastic.

Weird, I was looking at trips last night to the carribean or cancun area trying to decide which would be an all around better trip for some diving/snorkeling with my girlfriend.

Looknig forward to seeing what people say!

I have been to Cozumel, Roatan, and Bonaire to dive. Of the 3 I would pick Bonaire (my wife would pick Roatan) for snorkeling as the reefs pretty much start at the shore. Most of the diving is also done from shore because of this. However Roatan has very shallow reefs that are not to far off shore and the island is nicer IMO. We stayed at: Bonaire, Plaza resort. And in Roatan Anthony's key. Either would be fantastic.

Either location is excellent.

Curacao has a some lovely house reefs ideal for diving/snorkeling! Lots of shore diving available and public beaches for snorkeling.

Sapphire Beach Resort in St. Thomas. Absolutely beautiful, large reef right off the beach! Just walk out your front door, and the reef begins within 5 feet from the beach. The island is very poor (just like most Caribbean islands), but the natural beauty is outstanding.

Sapphire Beach Resort in St. Thomas. Absolutely beautiful, large reef right off the beach! Just walk out your front door, and the reef begins within 5 feet from the beach. The island is very poor (just like most Caribbean islands), but the natural beauty is outstanding.

Lots of bad reviews on the staff at that place. When did you go & how was the service?

Lots of bad reviews on the staff at that place. When did you go & how was the service?

The last time I was there was around 2001, and yes the staff sucks. But that's pretty much true for most resorts/restaurants in St. Thomas. The locals really don't care for the tourists. If you're able to ignore the attitudes, then it's a great place to check out.

OK, that's what I was kinda thinking LOL. Sounds like lots of disrepair there now, though, and if i'm gonna stay in a crappy place I'm gonna pay $69 a night LOL. No restaurant is a no go or us, too. I would love to find a decent place to snorkel right off the beach. Might have to go back to St. Maarten.

Thanks everyone for all for the suggestions/ideas and we have decided its going to be Roatan as it looks truly amazing!

After doing some research on the safety in Honduras we have decided to continue our search

Don't count Honduras out completely, the main land of Honduras is a little ify but the island of Roatan is for the most part safe. I know a few Americans that have houses on the island and say they have no trouble. I was in Roatan in May and loved it. But as you have pointed out, it is a third world country with the second largest natural reef in the world.

I have a couple of "off the beaten path" suggestions. Note, I have not been to either but am headed to one next year. The first place is a place on my bucket list for quite some time now is a place called Little Corn Island. It is a island in the Caribbean that is waaaay off the beaten path. It is a part of Nicaragua and requires a puddle jumper from the main land then a boat ride from Big Corn Island to LCI. I haven't been able to convince my wife to go just yet as the accommodations are very spartan.

I am headed however headed to Bocas Del Toro Panama in May of next year. The diving isn't supposed to be stellar but the snorkeling is supposed to be pretty darn good. And the scenery is insane! But this too requires from what I understand a pretty sketchy flight from Panama City to Bocas.

You can't go wrong in my opinion with Playa Del Carmen...amazing town and great snorkeling and diving! Honduras is also on my to go to list. Good luck in your search, it is half the fun in my opinion.

Anywhere on Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman. Great snorkeling from the beach. Great water sports from jet ski's to parasailing. The locals are extremely friendly and hospitable. I stayed at the Westin Casuarina on Seven Mile Beach and the service was excellent. Every morning and evening they put little personal rum cakes on your night stand. There is so much to do in Grand Cayman. They have a sub that takes you down on the reef and it is amazing. They have great restaurants as well. I would HIGHLY recommend Prime. It is a Brazilian Steakhouse. It is a great experience. What they do is, they give you a card that put on the green side, and they will continually come by and give you different meats like lamb, steak, and seafood. also a variety of sausages too. When your full you turn your card over and the food stops coming. The turtle farm is fun to visit with kids, but in my opinion, is a little boring after a while. There are a bunch of duty free shops in Georgetown that carry high end stuff like Miki moto pearls, rolex wathches, and Guy Harvey paintings. they also have more affordable stuff as well.

If I could only go and vacation at one caribbean island, It would be grand cayman hands down.

Hope this helps

Anywhere on Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman. Great snorkeling from the beach.
If I could only go and vacation at one caribbean island, It would be grand cayman hands down.

Hope this helps
+1.... Agree 100% Ive been here 5 times.Absolutely love it.

Bahamas has some nice places. Taino beach sounds decent, but I didn't snorkel there when I went. I was on the other side of the island. And this is at Freeport (Grand Island I think it's called??)

There is some good diving in curacao, but the island isn't all that nice. It's a desert when you get past the coast, and its a little dirty. The Hilton resort is nice, but I haven't been IN the building. We just sailed in, ate, swam and headed out. If you do go, go eat at El Gaucho. It's a steak restaurant up on a cliff. Order the Deluxe. Its not on the menu, but it's a sampler of three of their steaks and is fantastic.

The reef dropped off pretty fast on curacao. It's great for scuba, but limits snorkeling. I snorkeled at grand Cayman and it was easier because it stays shallow. St Lucia has a couple sandals resorts and they take a snorkel trip every day. They also offer a resort certification for scuba for around $75. Its worth it and the resorts are great. That's basically my Caribbean experience

Back