which model the aquamaxx co-1 or co-2 SKIMMER?

slush

My tank is about 80-90 gallons or so including the sump. Its a mixed reef mainly sps its heavily stocked with coral with about 10-12 fish. What size skimmer do you guys recommend the aquamaxx co-1 or the co-2. Or should I focus on a different skimmer? Thanks for the advice.

First I would not count the sump as water volume but on the DT that being said I would say the ConeS Co-1.
Why would you opt to discount sump volume as part of water volume? My understanding is when choosing equipment (ca reactor skimmers etc) you must match the total water volume with what the equipment is rated for

The DT is the only place where the bio load comes from not the sump. d2mini has a build thread and has a 200 gallon tank with about 150 gallons of sumps so he seized the skimmer to the total water volume, that skimmer was too powerful and did not skim correctly.

This is a small tank and easy to over skim I am not a fan of over a size skimmer. I bought but not installed a ConeS Co-1 for my 40 breeder and have a 20 long for the sump. I have read people using this skimmer on smaller than this size and as well as bigger so that is why I recommended the Co-1.

Manufactures ratings on a skimmer are a joke, they say a tiny skimmer can skim a 120 tank, yeah if you want to dump the cup 3 times a day like I did with my Euro Reef RS 80 on my 120 gallon tank, so better to get a real live rating on the skimmer.

Size your skimmer to your total water volume, just because the bioload is in the display......the total volume of water is constantly going thru that display.

In your case the CO-1 would be plenty of skimmer.

FWIW, I have a CO-2 on a heavily stocked 75 gallon mixed reef, and it works like a champ. I've had an over-sized skimmer on this tank in the past, so I'm familiar with the problems that can cause. Based on my experience, I would say that the CO2 would definitely not be over-sized for your system.

Mike

FWIW, I have a CO-2 on a heavily stocked 75 gallon mixed reef, and it works like a champ. I've had an over-sized skimmer on this tank in the past, so I'm familiar with the problems that can cause. Based on my experience, I would say that the CO2 would definitely not be over-sized for your system.

Mike

I agree. I ran the CO-1 on a 60 gallon system and I'm now running it on a 40 gallon system. Should be good with the CO-2

I have the CO-2 on a 105 tank. Seems ideal. I wouldn't have liked the wedge-shaped collection cup of the CO-1 since I have an Avast neck cleaner. Every 2 hours the skimmate collection is reset to an ideal state. With a collection overflow device (also from Avast) the skimmer can run for weeks w/o any maintenance whatsoever and auto shuts down if it gets full.

I'm sure the CO-1 would work, but with a dozen fish and SPS - why not. Assuming you have room in the sump. If you upsize your tank in the near future you wont have to buy a new skimmer.

One thing I would do different though is to very thoroughly wash the internals in vinegar. I was in no hurry and set mine up w/ only a quick H2O rinse. Four weeks later it was still trying to blow the lid off the top, LOL. You'll love the skimmer no matter which one you get.

Back