Who Else Remembers These Little Nems?

bradleym

Premium Member
Back in 2011/2012 these were too hot to handle, and it was not unusual to see them selling for $250 a piece. I haven't seen or heard of them in years, and so after losing mine in a tank crash in 2015 you had better believe I happily spent $45 when I came across one in my LFS yesterday.

I'm quite obsessed with nano anemones (actually all anemones but I can squeeze in more of them when they're smaller) and these are a perfect fit, topping out at 3 inches under the best of circumstances. If I recall correctly, they could split reliably too, so if I end up with a colony of them that's just fine by me.

P.S. does anyone remember what they were called? Ultra mini carpets? Nano carpets? Did anyone ever dig up a scientific name for them? I'd like to learn more about them if anything has been learned, and the LFS just had it listed as a rock anemone, so that didn't get me far.
64e006c8cf2576db664429f6bb689da3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion, and I think you are right. It looks like they are still lumped in there - I was hoping there would be a different name for these vs. the bigger ones by now.

BTW I just learned apparently they are fairly common in Singapore, and come in neon green and dull purple as well. So now I have add THOSE to my list of "must haves" now too! LOL

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

We call them Bali Blood Red Mini Carpet and they still go for $200 in Canada. Much cheaper than a red haddoni.

Are these comparable to gigantea and hadoni but smaller? Do they eat fish the way larger carpets do? I saw a video on Reef builders of Adam Luo’s 300 gallon tank and can’t get over the blue gigantea he has. I’m on the hunt for one now :-/

Yes, I had one around the time frame you’ve mentioned. Here in the UK they were called baby carpet anemones but in reality there were just too many that appeared all at the same time for that to be the case. Anyway, I bought one and as you have mentioned it grew to around 2.5” and then split. I sold both when I broke my tank down and haven’t seen any since up until about a month ago when both of my LFS again had a few in stock.

Back