Who would you sell to?

Mr. Brooks

MASVC Member
I'm thinking about selling my entire coral collection and shutting down. I have thousands invested. The retail value now after growth is in the multiple tens of thousands. But I'm really not in the mood to sell individual pieces retail. If I were to do it, I would want to agree on a deal and then have corals removed piecemeal over time to insure survival of all the livestock.

I'm located in the Northern Los Angeles area. If it were you, who would you go to? Fish store? Garage grower? Retail to other hobbyists?

Interested to get your thoughts on this.

Look man. Honestly, I really dont think people will pay tens of thousands. Maybe if they were Malaysian caliber SPS, now that stuff is hot right now due to the ban, but if ur selling common captive bred stuff ... dont set your Hope's up high. But hey, by all means shop around and if u find someone shelling out cash for coral, let me know as I need to move some stuff myself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's hard to buy without pictures. At least u need to show what u have then we can go from there. If it's a good collection and a decent deal then u have a chance to sell it but without pictures there is no deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This isn't a for sale thread. Just trying to figure out what I should do. If reefcentral would even allow me to sell this much stuff. I'm just kind of lost. I spent all this time collecting and growing. Selling isn't my strong suit.

Look man. Honestly, I really dont think people will pay tens of thousands. Maybe if they were Malaysian caliber SPS, now that stuff is hot right now due to the ban, but if ur selling common captive bred stuff ... dont set your Hope's up high. But hey, by all means shop around and if u find someone shelling out cash for coral, let me know as I need to move some stuff myself.

I don't either. There's a sweet spot somewhere between selling individual small pieces and a bulk sale. I'll get less return on a bulk sale but in theory it should be easier.

It's going to be tough finding someone who will drop thousands to buy out your collection. Best bet is to post each colony here with a price. I'm sure you'll sell majority this way and then maybe do a package deal for the remaining pieces no one cherry picked. It's easier for people to spend $200-1000 on a few nice pieces versus $5000-10000 for an entire package.
Selling individually is also going to get you the best return

I would guess you would get pennies on the dollar selling in bulk to a retailer and not get satisfaction off selling to a fellow hobbyist who would appreciate it.

This isn't a for sale thread. Just trying to figure out what I should do. If reefcentral would even allow me to sell this much stuff. I'm just kind of lost. I spent all this time collecting and growing. Selling isn't my strong suit.

But you want to sell your corals without listing it out who can offer to buy from you. If u have Matt v or RRC stuffs I might buy it all if the price is right

IMO. Id makes some calls to local or semi local retailers, they'll most likely request for some pictures of course so be ready for that. And depending how much you want to deal with the whole selling platform they're probably gonna offer you some amount that'll be unforeseen on your end, but overall its a quick sale, not having to deal with multiple people, meeting up or having to deal with flakes and what not. But if you feel that number is super low ball, I think you're only real choice is to sell on not one but multiple forums. I also believe you'd probably get more for what you think your items are worth. AT the end of the day, its a lot of work more so dealing with the forums. Post pictures on here at least a couple FTS, you never know. We all know this hobby isn't cheap, so if you have huge colonies, maybe you can break it up into multiples to ease on the price for local reefers to buy.

I would give out 5 Frag Packs of your favorites to Elite Reefers you know so that if you miss it you can get it all back. I sometimes question the amount of time I give to this Hobby. My new Bandit is cool as hell though:)

He might get that, he has pretty much all top shelf named corals with direct lineage from what I've seen. A wholesaler might pay him .30 on the dollar and a retailer .40. It's all high demand corals from what I have seen of his tank.

post the names so we get a good idea. a few of us can chip in and take all your pieces.

I had pretty good success back in '07 when i broke down my fully stocked 225g by doing the following:

1. Post pics and prices here of all your fish and corals
2. Get deposits from people that want to buy said fish and corals
3. Set aside one or two days (like a saturday and sunday from 10am-12pm each day)
4. Have everyone show up those days to pickup everything
5. Dance all the way to the bank the following monday

The End~

dang chad, i thought you left a while ago. i would spread it out incase it dies there is more of it out there.

There would eventually be a time that we would start asking questions. Honestly, if you are selling your collection, even if it's a lot of stuff, it's okay by me. If somehow you keep finding new stuff that you "forgot"to list in the beginning, it'll be obvious that you are up to no good.
In short, I'm sorry to see that you're looking to leave the hobby, but nobody here is going to try to stop a hobbyist from selling their hobby stuff.

Maybe work out a consignment with a store and supply them steadily and do a revenue share?

Back