Who's breeding what?

ichthyogeek

I'm curious as to who breeds what in this subforum. So, tell us what you've bred, or are breeding right now, and how long you've been working with'em!

Me:
None right now, but future endeavors will include Banggai Cardinalfish, Stonogobiops nematodes, Chrysiptera hemicyanea, and if I can get a relatively cheap pair, Pseudochromis elongatus.

hey ichy, if the list can include failures, i'll add mine to the list.
i'm currently failing at rearing the black ray gobie larvae that my breeding pair has so generously given me to play with. they've let 22 clutches go that i've caught. i can't get passed 6 days with them. i'm trying to change that every week.
i've also got porcelein crabs, neopetrolisthes, and pom pom crabs, lybia, chucking zoa at me every few weeks. i can't get to megalops with them. i'm working on that as well.
one day i'm gonna post a success on rc. one day.

i'm currently failing at rearing the black ray gobie larvae that my breeding pair has so generously given me to play with. they've let 22 clutches go that i've caught. i can't get passed 6 days with them. i'm trying to change that every week.
i've also got porcelein crabs, neopetrolisthes, and pom pom crabs, lybia, chucking zoa at me every few weeks. i can't get to megalops with them. i'm working on that as well.

I wish you good luck, you will get there sooner or later. You should start some threads to keep track of your findings

Who's breeding what?

Lol... The same for me if you can include failures....
Over the course of 16 years in my personal aquarium(s)
Successfully spawning and hatching, never lived past 6 days...

Gold band maroon clown
Pearly jawfish
Gobiodon citrinus
Gobiodon okinawae
Gobiodon ceramensis
Stonogobiops nematodes
Cinnamon clownfish ( red black no stripe)

Spawning with no effort to raise because of pelagic larvae

Synchiropus splendidus

At the store
Banggai Cardinal

I'm now trying
Black snowflake ocellaris
Gobiodon histrio
And want try stonogobops yasha
Perhaps jawfish sp again

Bicolor blenny

Successful non fish
Mantella madagascariensis
Dendrobates auratus
Green tree frog
Veiled chameleon
Panther chameleon
Jackson chameleon
Hahn' s mini macaw
And myself currently on maternity leave [emoji13]

Last edited:
I'm not a breeder but I have a pair of Harlequin shrimps and noticed the bigger shrimp I think having babies.Whay shoukd I do?

I'm not a breeder but I have a pair of Harlequin shrimps and noticed the bigger shrimp I think having babies.Whay shoukd I do?

Go to the aquarium techknowlegy sponsor forum and you can read about their tries at raising them. I dont think it has ever been done yet though

Currently working on:
Lysmata wurdemanni, nearing settlement
Lysmata boggessi, 3 settled growing out
Gobiodon okinawae, some hatched last night
Elacatinus evelynae, spawning, and eating the eggs
Synchiropus Ruby Red, hatched, and raised to 16 days
Dascyllus aruanus, spawned, hatched, raised to 16 days
Pseudochromis fridmani, 2 pairs, no spawns yet.
Cryptocentrus cinctus, 2 settled, from a friend's eggs

Raised to adulthood, but not currently working on:
Amphiprion ocellaris: thousands, long ago
A. ocellaris Darwin: hundreds, long ago
A. chrysopterus: raised one from a friend's pair's eggs
A. clarkii: just a few
Elacatinus oceanops: couple hundred.

Last edited:
Anna ...I'm curious...Were the clarkiis bad parents or the fry too difficult to please?

Because my gobiodon so we're all amazing parents but the larvae was too small for Rotifera I had, so were the stonogobiops. On the other hand the male jawfish was a ' slacker' and would get fed up half way through his parental duty and the maroons had both problems they would start out being good at ventilating eggs and cleaning then would be super protective and then they would freak out and start eating eggs. Whenever some hatched I wasn't able to provide the right size prey items to feed on.

The right sized prey is always the problem, isn't it?

The Clarkiis were great and easy to raise, and cute as buttons, but didn't sell well. I've given up selling clownfish.

Not to derail the thread...

I am planing on breeding clowns mostly, have my first pair but will probably be 6 months or so before they start.

Bangaii,Thought it would be nice to try but with difficulties sexing didn't think I'd get anywhere. Bought a trio, within a week of QT 2 paired off. Made it through QT went into the DT, 2 weeks later the male is holding eggs. So far day 2. Was really not expecting that.

Zebra dartfish, bought 4, hope I'll get a pair and some babies.

Mostly clownfish, 8 pairs only two pairs laying (regular w/ snowflake produce 40% snowflake 60% regular, Photon w/ snowflake produce black ice, regular and photon). waiting on blizzard( look like platinum) w/ snowflake, true w/ snow, black snow w/black&white, golden nuggect w/ gold strip, lighting w/ white stripe (moorse code) and Wyoming w/ snowflake.
20140624_061112_resized_zpslldsmsgi.jpg

Last edited:
Back