Why are my mushrooms small?

dax123

The mushrooms on the bottom rock in the centre (under the leather) used to open and fully cover the rock but for the past few months have been quarter size only. I tried positioning it in a couple of other places with different light and flow but no difference. They are at least 3 inches away from any other coral. What could the reasons be and is there anything I can try?

Attachments

• IMG_3331small.jpg
    IMG_3331small.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3329small.jpg
    IMG_3329small.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 0
How long were they in the tank when they were opening fully? For right now, my suggestion would be to move them into a shady part of the tank, inside of a cave or something.

Moved them someplace shady and haven't dosed anything new.
They are in the tank 1 year now, and used to be large for months in the beginning. Now they've been small for the past few months.

I too have a challenge with some of my mushrooms being small. They were fine for months before they became micro in size. It is funny because in one of my tanks they are fine. I moved some into the other tank and now they are back to their original size.

At first I thought it was because of the alk and mg levels. They stayed small in the 58g as well for a while. I noticed when I upped my mg levels and kept it in the 1300-1400 range they have been happy. I have since matched the mg and alk in the first tank without a change. The other difference between the two tanks is that I run the 58g with much higher nutrients so I am not sure if that also made a difference.

If your mg is low I would try raising it to see if it helps.

Mine Hairy are doing great with spot feeding.

Mine Hairy are doing great with spot feeding.

I turn off the pump for a minute and drop either mysis, or pellets and they are splitting and dropping and out growing everything. They are in the flow and higher up near the light. Thats pretty much all I know about taking care of them. Gotta start fragging soon I think.

Attachments

• photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
Back