Will Seaweed Extract feeding be harmful to Water Chemistry?

greeneyesmiami

Found an item from a local Chemical Co. here in Asia:

Wondering if it could be a good food source for Fish, Corals, Clams and Inverts. Either dry or mixed with RO water, but not sure of the impact on the water chemistry in a marine or freshwater tank.

Can anyone help with this please? Tks.

Seaweed Extract:

Appearance: Brownish small granule
Odour: Seaweed-like
Water Solubility: 100% soluble
Ph: 9-10
Specific Gravity:0.5-0.55g/cm3
Powder size: 50 mesh

Guaranteed Analysis
Organic matter: 55-65%
Alginic Acid:10-12%
Total Nitrogen:0.5-0.8%
Potash (K2O) 17-19%

Packing: 20kg per carton
Origin : South Africa

Thanks for any response to this item.

It will boost the soluble organic level, and may be akin to organic carbon dosing, albeit using a complex mixture. It does have quite a bit of potassium.

I don't know if anything will eat an undissolved granule, except maybe a fish that normally eats seaweed.

I'd consider it an experiment to dose it.

FWIW, 20 kg will last a long time. :D

The guaranteed analysis is too vague: organic matter 50-60%. I would not use it.

In my 75G Jaubert Plenum set up for 12 years, I neither skim nor do water changes. For trace mineral addition, I use "Pure Kelp Food" labeled Alaska by Pennington.

Guaranteed Analysis:
N at 0.130%
P at 0.000%
K2O at 0.600%
Ca at 0.180%
Mg at 0.060
S at 0.035%
Cu at 0.002%
Fe at 0.008%
Mn at 0.001%
Mo at 0.0001%
Na at 0.120%
An at 0.002

I purchase it at Home Depot garden center for $10/QT.
Patrick

Thanks Randy,

Thinking about using it as Tang food, but was wondering if a small amount was fed to them 2 or 3 times per week if the water chemistry would change any noticeable difference. Also, if it's 100% soluble would it dissolve in the water?

Tks.

Thanks Randy,

Thinking about using it as Tang food, but was wondering if a small amount was fed to them 2 or 3 times per week if the water chemistry would change any noticeable difference. Also, if it's 100% soluble would it dissolve in the water?

Tks.

Initially, when you posted this, I assumed you were using it as nutrients to grow macro algae. Of course the water chemstry will change. If you measure it, then you will notice it.
Did I miss some thing here? Do you have a refugium with macroalgae. If so, then you would be nutrient recycling feeding macro to your tangs. If you don't have macro what is the point? Nutrition through osmosis?
Patrick

I don't think it will work well as a food since it is 100% soluble. My surgeon fish like nori on clips and spirulina flakes.

It'd add nutrients in various forms to the water column. I'd be careful, since a lot of dissolved nutrients can cause problems for various animals. A bacterial bloom might be another issues, so I'd tread very lightly.

It doesn't look terribly nutritious to me. I'm wondering how you think a clam or inverts would eat something that is completely dissolved.

Back