Word of warning.

Sorry about your losses, stuck.

My new tank is in sunny South Florida.

Hurricane country. (Season's just about here.)

My building has a back-up system for A/C and such, but I'll have a battery back-up to run my return pump (70 watts) for 48 hours, minimum.

Got it all figured out. One of these:

http://www.topsalesdepot.com/1000.html

will sit in the top shelf of an old audio rack I'll mod to house two of these:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...e=Batteries+&+Chargers&sName=Marine+Batteries

that'll sit right next to my tank.

$725.00 for peace-of-mind?

SOLD!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12847780#post12847780 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by StuckNOmaha
That would be helpful if I didn't require sleep...25hours of no power, you don't think I tried that, by the time I got back from trying to get a working generator it was too late.

That's too bad. It's a shame you couldn't get a generator running. Sorry for your losses.

It's so worth it to have a generator, even if it's just a small one. We've had some bad power outages in St. Louis in the past few years...some lasting 2 weeks. (some for thunderstorms, some for ice storms) There were a lot of reefers here who lost everything.
The one i have is just big enough to run the tank, the laptop, some lights, fans/space heaters, and charge the cell phones.

We had an ice storm here a couple years back that knocked out power for several days. We would have lost our reef tank if it wasn't for my sister and her husband driving across the state to bring us their generator. We bought one soon thereafter, and it is definitely worth the peace of mind.

I also get a pitcher and fill it with tank water and just pour it back into the tank. It's great for short periods of power outages, but it wouldn't work if its for 25 hours. It sad when there isn't anything you can do after a while.

My power went out on May 30th for 3 days and 4 nights. I ran to Petco and bought to battery powered air pumps and ran them 27/7. Didn't lose a thing, I consider myself very lucky.

180 gallon cube

man, Id just run to my car and pull the battery out of that lol. rig up a DC/AC converter that you can get for cheap, and run a few powerheads off of that. a yacht battery or 2 could be cheap insurance... though those are about 100$ each, so if a 300$ generator can work, thats not so bad either.

" I ran to Petco and bought to battery powered air pumps and ran them 27/7"

They were working overtime! :)

Back