Would a rusting hose clamp cause massive SPS die off?

Glad to hear it..... I'm going through a wierd die off things are starting to finally turn around and I have no idea what happened or what fixed it

I am having similar issues and I believe I have tracked it down to using too much GFO. All of my parameters are in line (except phosphate and nitrate) and in addition to using too much GFO I missed a bunch of feedings over the last two weeks.

Here are the readings as of last night:

Salinity - 1.025
dKH - 9.5
Calcium - 430
Magnesium - 1290/1320 (I added too many drops on the test and I missed the color change)
NO3 - Undetectable (Red Sea) Has been that way for a while.
PO4 - Undetectable (Salifert) Dropped too fast.

Most of my corals look fine except for a mini maricultured SPS colony that is having STN on the tips. I am going to shut the GFO off when I get home today and do a water change. I really liked the piece but I think I may lose it. I have super glued the tips that were white and am hoping that by feeding a little heavy and taking the GFO off that it will come back.

FWIW, I had the same thing going on for quite a while. I could not keep sps from eventual stn. LPS would not grow and color was greatly lightened. I was running my tank at 9.5 dKh with Biopellets and GFO. I also found out I had low potassium levels (<300). I can't tell you which had the impact, but I let my alk drop to 8.5 and raised my potassium up to 400. It took 3-4 weeks to do this. I also quit using GFO. The change in the tank was amazing. Everything is colored up and growing.

I hate to mention this. But to run my tank at a lower alk I switched to IO from RSCP salt. I don't believe the salt was an issue.

I also don't think the GFO had anything to do with it. Though the biopellets seem more effective as I am feeding the tank more and have less algae.

High alk levels and carbon dosing are known to cause this type of issue. Nobody seems to know why. For sum reason I kept ignoring/missing this.

The potassium depletion could cause it as well. Interestingly, once I raised the potassium to 400, I have yet to need to supplement it again. I test for it every 2-3 weeks.

Back