Would it be worth it for me to upgrade my lighting?

smp

I currently have PC lighting:

One 55watt 10k
One 65watt 10k
One 65watt actinic

Two 18watt NO T5 actinics

Over a 29 gallon, standard tank dimensions I think it's 18" tall.

I want to go to 175watt metal halide 20k to get the best colour.
Would this be a significant upgrade? The thing I love most about metal halide is how good corals look under it. In person I have yet to see a tank lit with flourescents that rivals a tank lit with MH, things always just look so much more crisp and I partially think it's because of the single point source of light which gives you shadows and contrast versus the flat look that flourescents give. I also really enjoy the 'shimmer' effect that MH gives.
Maybe a 15k bulb would be better than 20k?
I'm hoping to grab a used 175 system with an 8 month old 20k bulb that I'll run for a month or two before going to a 15k or another 20k.

This is to light a zoo/ricordia tank with maybe a few LPS, right now I have a frogspawn and RBTA in there as well.
Opinions, comments, criticisms are all welcome :)

Well if your getting a good deal on the 175 go for it! Personally I'd sugest a 250 though...you are just starting in the reef hobby according to to your experience sig. One thing you will learn quick...Its VERY addicting...get the best stuff to start with...you'll want to try that one little SPS one day...then you'll want that 250W bulb. ;)

I upgraded my PC's to a 150W (wish I went with 250) 14k bulb and I LOVE it! I think 20K is to blue for me. the 14k has a light blue hue to it but is still very crisp. I think the 14k gives the corals the look of a 20K (meaning it makes the colors pop out and glow) but it still gives your tank an overall crisp white look.

I'm worried that 250 will be too much for all the ricordia I hope to have one day :)
(right now i have a small colony of 3 heads) :(

Also, i'm a fan of blue shrooms and things like that. I was thinking that if I do get any SPS I could put it at the very top of my rockwork and it would be okay.

I'm running a 250 pendant over a 29 gal also and completely happy with the set-up. I keep the ricordia on the sandbad and they seem fine. I orginally had PC and upgraded to MH after seeing how nice the corals especially zoas look under them. Would highly recommend 250 14K for your 29.

Rics like light...they are going to have no problem with a MH.

Like I said though... If your getting a REALLY good deal on the 175 go for it...if it would only cost alittle more to go to a 250 I'd do that. Yes sps will be fine under a 175 at the top...

LOL your in troble already thoug... I said the same thing when I went from PC's to the 150. I got a few sps put them at the top... then started REALLY liking SPS & ran out of "top realestate" . I'm about 75% sps now in my tank :eek2:

That they should!!!!

This is what it comes down to...

I can get the 175 setup, with a probe start magnetic ballast of which I don't know the manufacturer and the retrofit with two spots for 24" PC lights (which I have) and the 20k bulb for 125 Canadian. the bulb is 8 months old so I am considering this as well, i would need a new one pretty much right away but I figure I can use it for a month or two.

A 250 watt setup with an icecap ballast and PFO retrofit would cost me 310 Canadian .. plus shipping!

So yes, the 175 is a lot cheaper, and trust me I'm in debt right now. See that bike in my avatar? Imagine how pretty (and expensive) it looks tumbling through a gravel trap at 100 miles per hour!
Expensive hobbies I've got .. dammit!

LOL WE HAVE THE SAME HOBBIES! I reef...my boyfriend races bikes. (hes teaching me to ride this year too :D ) He just crashed his new GSXR 1000 back in novemeber (riding it to the place he was going to store it for the winter too LOL)

BTW 20K bulbs hold their spectrum alot longer than other bulbs you can easily get 12 months out of those.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6642027#post6642027 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jovreefer
LOL WE HAVE THE SAME HOBBIES! I reef...my boyfriend races bikes. (hes teaching me to ride this year too :D ) He just crashed his new GSXR 1000 back in novemeber (riding it to the place he was going to store it for the winter too LOL)

BTW 20K bulbs hold their spectrum alot longer than other bulbs you can easily get 12 months out of those.

Sweet, I never knew that 20k bulbs lasted longer! Yet another reason to go 20k.

About your boyfriend's GSXR 1k, those are nice bikes a few of my friends have them. I ride a 600 and only do trackdays, I don't race. Just 'having fun' at the track is expensive enough without having to worry about all the costs associated with racing, that is REALLY expensive! We're talking a couple grand a weekend pretty much!

so what do you guys think? Would this be a significant upgrade or should I stick to my PCs?

I second go for the 175! there is no compairason in MH and PC's!

(and this is comming from a person who use to keep SPS under PC's and swear they were great & cheaper & cooler & I'd never go to MH)

Back