WTB: 250W Electronic ballasts

I'm running two 4K 250E DE Phoenix bulbs on an M80 HQI ballast. I don't like the color they put out with these ballasts. I'd like to run them on electronic ballasts such as IceCap so I can underdrive them for a bluer appearance. I'm also open to trading my old school M80 ballasts for electronic ones. I'm located in Riverside/Moreno Valley.

I may have some or know someone who has some older ones that you can have, you pay shipping.

Let me dig around and see what I have.

I’m running the best ever M80 HQI galaxy select-a-watt electronic ballasts. They are out of production and I was looking for a spare but could only find 3 of them. I’d be willing to sell one, comes with a cable and the box but they cost me $80 each. 250W HQI 400W and turbo 400W settings.

I’ll sell you 2 for $160. Leaves me one spare which is what I wanted.

I have an ARO electronic ballasts that I used to all bulbs with especially a phoenix 14K. You can have it for $25 shipped.

I'm running the best ever M80 HQI galaxy select-a-watt electronic ballasts. They are out of production and I was looking for a spare but could only find 3 of them. I'd be willing to sell one, comes with a cable and the box but they cost me $80 each. 250W HQI 400W and turbo 400W settings.

I'll sell you 2 for $160. Leaves me one spare which is what I wanted.

So I can exactly give them 250W or is it a 250W HQI setting which will obviously give them closer to 270-300W? I thought no one responded ( I didn't get a notification) so I ordered two Ushio 20k bulbs lol. Regardless, I'm still interested in these ballasts since they are selectable wattage ballasts.

So I can exactly give them 250W or is it a 250W HQI setting which will obviously give them closer to 270-300W? I thought no one responded ( I didn't get a notification) so I ordered two Ushio 20k bulbs lol. Regardless, I'm still interested in these ballasts since they are selectable wattage ballasts.

Not what you want to hear.. but I pretty sure your ushios are going to look even less blue..

They will look bluer at the M58 (250W) setting than at the M80 (HQI) setting.

The other issue is that M58 systems are probe start and may not reliably fire HQI/M80 pulse start lamps once they have a few months on them. Pulse start ballasts will fire probe start (250W M58) reliably but may slightly reduce lamp life.

Probe start lamps have a anode in the lamp that opens one the lamp is fired. Pulse start lamps, the ballast bumps the output until the lamp fires and senses it and goes back to normal. Many time you will find that 300W HQI lamps will become unreliable at the 3-6 mont mark on 250W M58 ballasts.

I’m telling you, the ballasts I have are the bee’s knees.

Probe start lamps have a anode in the lamp that opens one the lamp is fired. Pulse start lamps, the ballast bumps the output until the lamp fires and senses it and goes back to normal. Many time you will find that 300W HQI lamps will become unreliable at the 3-6 month mark on 250W M58 ballasts.

I'm telling you, the ballasts I have are the bee's knees.

I have Ushio 20k bulbs now. I like them but they are quite dim on my blue wave ballasts. They would be super blue on your ballasts and even dimmer. But that could be countered by lowering the fixture. I'm still interested but I'm broke for this month haha. I spent too much money on my new aquarium. If you can hold them for me until the end of August, I will pick them up!

I have Ushio 20k bulbs now. I like them but they are quite dim on my blue wave ballasts. They would be super blue on your ballasts and even dimmer. But that could be countered by lowering the fixture. I'm still interested but I'm broke for this month haha. I spent too much money on my new aquarium. If you can hold them for me until the end of August, I will pick them up!

I'm not in any rush to sell them. I only have a few and they are impossible to find.

Back